How Can I Click and Drag an Item From One Window to Another Window With a Specified Name but a Varying Location?

Hello again!

I can't seem to figure out how to set a "click or move" mouse operation to finish relative to a different window than the click originated in. I'm new to KM, coming from QuicKeys which had an option to release mouse clicks relative to "window title name contains" which was very handy. Is there a way to accomplish this in KM given that it's not built directly in to the "click or move" operation?

I tried "click and hold" and experimented with different ways to select the new window within the program I'm working in (Avid Media Composer) but, unfortunately, it won't allow any window changes to occur while the left mouse is depressed.

Thanks!

Hi @Footbaggin,

I never used QuicKeys myself, but as I understand it, it tended to package functionality into groups of actions, whereas Keyboard Maestro breaks the same or greater functionality down into component parts and gives you the tools you need to assemble a solution that precisely fits your needs. In the use case you describe, I believe something like this should get you started:

Drag Mouse to Window With Different Name.kmmacros (4.8 KB)

You'll need to adjust the "Bring Window to Front" action for the specific window you want to release the mouse in in Avid, and you'll probably want to adjust the individual pause lengths as well, but hopefully this will get you most of the way there.

Thanks, good idea. It didn't work, though. Avid clearly has some way of blocking any focused window changes while the mouse is being held down, unfortunately. That said, I've come up with another solution. I'm going to start off by getting the position of the Composer window and the mouse coordinates where I want to end up within it then store them as a variable.

Thanks for the help!

This is what I did. It works perfectly though it is annoying because it's a bit slower.