How can I get shortcuts to affect inactive apps/windows?

I have a media app which I absolutely love but they dont support global hotkeys. So I immediately turned to my trusty KBMaestro. Unfortunately I couldnt find a way to accomplish what I wanted.

I need a custom hotkey to trigger a shortcut for another application which is not active. That would really speed up my workflow. Is there any way to make this work?

Hey Allan,

Maybe – but you'll have to be more specific about what you're tying to do.

Please also identify the software you're using.

-Chris

1 Like

Oh Hi there Chris!

I totally missed your reply, I'm sorry.

Basically I have a Photoshop window active and I am running a videoplayer app called IINA in my second monitor, which is inactive.

I wanted to be able to send commands to the inactive videoplayer application/window without having to shift focus to it, sort of like a global shortcut thing.

So is there any way that Keyboard Maestro or even other apps would help me target specific applications for sending shortcuts without having them active/ in focus?

Hey Allan,

What kind of shortcuts?

Keyboard Shortcuts, select-menu-items, or what?

-Chris

Oh just simple keyboard shortcuts. Keystrokes like RIGHT, LEFT, S, T, and variations with CMD and SHIFT. Those would greatly help me control the video's speed and seek/play/pause without disrupting my workflow in photoshop

Hey Allen,

You can do that from the gear menu in the Type a Keystroke action.

-Chris

1 Like

Oh my god Chris I can't believe it was that easy. I can't thank you enough! This is just brilliant, probably the best software I've ever purchased :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks first for mentioning the app "IINA" I can't yet @dream3 :+1:

I don't have a 2nd monitor, try it with "Activate last Application" to execute the shortcut and then continue working in Photoshop without interruption.

https://cl.ly/e4c17c28a528