How Can I Use the Same Hotkey in Different Apps, but With No Conflict Palette Appearing?

hi, i’ve attached a screenshot labeled 1, 2, 3 which shows my problem…

1. i have 3 macros that i only use in 3 different programs, but they have the same hotkey…

2. so, for example, i made a group “disabled in indesign” and put aliases of the 2 hotkeys that i don’t use in indesign. (i tried not using aliases and putting the actual macro in the group, but since there are 3 total of the same hotkeys it seemed like i needed to use aliases?) i set this “disabled in indesign” group to “available except in these applications”…

3. but when i use one of them in indesign, i still get the conflict palette – i would like to use these same hotkeys in the 3 different programs without getting the conflict palette, is this possible?

does anyone know how i can get this to work?

thanks!

-todd

Why not just put each macro in a group that is only enabled in the application you want to use it in?

thanks roosterboy, each of the macros are in a group that is set to “available in these applications:” where i selected the application i want to use it in, but i still get the conflict palette, am i doing something wrong at that step? how can i make a group with macros ONLY enabled in one application? thanks! -todd

I can tell you from much experience that KM always properly activates, or does not activate, Macros according to the criteria in their Macro Group. See Macro Activation .

So, I urge you to double check the Macros that seem to be shown in the conflict palette.
I did notice one thing: In your screen shot you show the Macros with "alias" in their name. Do these Macros exist elsewhere?

When the Macro appear in the Conflict Palette, you can OPT-click on a Macro to open it in the KM Editor, and examine which Macro Group it is in.

thanks for responding, jmichaelTX. and thanks for the opt-click on the conflict palette tip!…

may i ask some overarching questions regarding my screenshot?

1. if these 3 macros are in 3 different active macro groups set as “available in these applications”… then does that mean using the hotkey, which is the same for all 3, will necessarily bring up the conflict palette since they’re all 3 “active” macros in km?… and if so, is there a way to set up a macro group so it’s always active but only triggers the macros in its group without bringing up the conflict palette for other km macros with the same hotkey? if this isn’t possible…

2. is there a way to move the macros (or aliases of them) into other groups that are strategically disabled in certain programs so the conflict palette is bypassed? if so, how might i be able to do this (i haven’t been able to pull this off consistently no matter what i’ve tried)?

thanks! -todd

Example Using Multiple Macro Groups To Use Same HotKey for Different Macros in Different Apps

Well, I'd advise you start with something simple:

1. Create 3 Macro Groups that are ACTIVE ONLY for a specific app, and make each MG for a different app.
  2. Put a macro in each MG, and use the same HotKey trigger for each macro. Make sure this HotKey is NOT used anywhere else.
  3. Now try triggering one of these Macros when its app is frontmost. You should NOT see a Conflict Palette.

Did you read:

It is very important that you read and understand this KM Wiki article. Once you do, you should be able to design Macro Groups to achieve your objectives.

1 Like

Example for Using Multiple Macro Groups that Exclude Applications

Do NOT use aliases for now. That just adds a complication you don't need.

Try this:

1. Create 3 Macro Groups
  2. In MG A,
    • set to active for all EXCEPT app A
    • enter Macro A, with HotKey X (whatever hotkey you want that is NOT used elsewhere)
  3. In MG B,
    • set to active for all EXCEPT app B
    • enter Macro B, with HotKey X (same as above)
  4. In MG C
    • set to active for all EXCEPT app C
    • enter Macro C, with HotKey X (same as above)

Now, activate App A, and press HotKey X

• You should get a conflict palette for Macro B and Macro C

Now, activate App B, and press HotKey X

• You should get a conflict palette for Macro A and Macro C

Now, activate App C, and press HotKey X

• You should get a conflict palette for Macro A and Macro B

This will work if you do exactly that. I've done it many times.

Make sense?

oh my god, great idea for the simple test, which i did, and… there was NO conflict palette as you said!

THAT is how i expected km to work from the get-go, but i must have somehow then thought i needed to use “disabled in…” groups, which has been causing me all my troubles…

when i removed those “disabled in…” groups my initial problem macros are now behaving as expected and my problem is solved! plus everything is going to be set up so much simpler now.

(yes, thank you!, i did read the “macro activation” km wiki article, and i read it again when you linked to it, thanks!)

thanks for the holiday gift, JMichaelTX :slight_smile:

happy and grateful,
-todd

1 Like

(thanks for the “active except” MG info, since my problem is now solved, i’m not sure i’ll be needing that functionality. thanks again!)

Hi, where can i find the macros? or build the macro groups?

The actual Macros are left as an exercise for the student to create. :wink:
You should be able to create these simple Macro Groups and Macros yourself.