How display all files in folder with a trigger before each file name

@Tom, I think you should apply to LaunchBar for a job of trainer/educator.
Then, start publishing a blog with all of your great tips.
Maybe have a “Tip of the Day” we could subscribe to.

If you need a recommendation, let me know. I’m serious. :smile:

@JMichaelTX @Tom great. thanks. I second what JMTx says. Launchbar tips and tricks are sorely needed.I would subscribe now. Reading the help is of limited value.

It works differently than Alfred. The Spacebar has a special meaning, as mentioned in my post above.

Type either the initial letters of the words (My file, works also with MyFile) or you can also type the whole string, just ignoring the spaces.

If you have many items with similar names, it can be unsatisfying, yes. But remember, once you have typed your search and then opened the item, next time will LB will know.

If you are to inpatient for that, do it as @JMichaelTX has suggested and assign a fix abbreviation.

(But don’t do this for each and every file, because a “learned” abbreviation is preferable in most cases, since it adapts to your habits, while a fix abbreviation you have to change manually if you desire different abbreviations in the future. This can be cumbersome if you have hundreds of fix abbreviations…)

1 Like

thank you

No tips, but in case you need a new LB Action, I recently have posted one on my blog (MD to Plain Text). :grinning:

BTW, this action is a good example for “Instant-Sending a text selection”, which I have showed you on the other thread a couple of days ago.

Use the excellent Spotlight Search for LaunchBar Action:

1. Select a folder in LB
  2. Send the folder to the Spotlight Search action
  3. Now you can search by kind etc. in that folder

Example:

Note:

Don’t confound this action with LB’s standard hotkey for Spotlight Search. To the standard SL search you cannot send items; this is a world of difference.

1 Like

Thanks, Tom. I have subscribed to your blog.

Good idea! I reassure you, you won’t get harassed by too frequent new-post notifications :wink:

I have added a screenshot to my answer above.

thank you. Where is your blog?

Hey, Ronald, just click the link in post :wink:

OK, this sounds interesting.

I have some questions:

1. Do I need to install this LB Action from Github?
  • It looks like I already have a Spotlight Action, built-in:

• What is the advantage is using a SL search via LB, rather than just using SL directly?
1 Like

See the last paragraph of my post above. :wink:

If you’re talking of the built-in action: Nothing, except that the SL search auto-opens the search in a Finder window.

I you’re talking about the action from my post: You can send folders to the search, and you then you can process the results directly in LaunchBar(!), for example executing any action on them. For more details see the forum post of the Spotlight Search action.

1 Like

OK. Sorry, Tom. I'll reread your above post, and see if I can get it this time. :wink:

Obviously, I have to start with installing the LB Custom Action.

1 Like

Hi. A different approach would be to use spotlight. If you type command-space the spotlight search opens, then type the first few characters of scrivener and spotlight will find the app and show you the last 10 scrivener files you had open. you then click on the file you want. I do this dozens of times a day during my work and it is very helpful.

Blessings.

-Ed

3 Likes

Interesting. Alfred, however, doesn’t seem to do that. Unless I’m missing something. (Yes, of course I can use Spotlight but my “muscle memory” had just about got the hang of going to Alfred.)

1 Like

I'm a big fan/user of Spotlight. But I'm seeing inconsistent results with this technique:

• :white_check_mark: BBEdit -- shows list of most recent files
  • :x: Microsoft Excel, Word -- just shows the app icon and info. No recent files, but does show other files.

Hmm, maybe this is because all of the MS Office apps are in a subfolder of Applications?

1 Like

Not sure, but I rather think it’s because of the “special” frame work an app is using.

BTW (I mean, just to mention it, since this thread is already LaunchBar-polluted :wink:):

LaunchBar also shows you the recent documents when you hit the Spacebar on a selected app. And, in addition, for not properly document-orientated apps it gives you some extra functionality:

Select an app and press the Spacebar to…

• Transmit: list/connect recently connected servers
  • iTunes: search in iTunes Store
  • KM: list all active macros alphabetically
  • EasyFind: type a search
  • Stickies: make a new Stickies note from the typed text
  • Mail: make a new message from the typed text
  • Terminal: execute the typed command in a new window
  • Calendar: list all calendars > create new event in the selected calendar
  • Reminders: list all lists > create new entry in the selected list
  • 2Do: create new task with title from typed text
  • Due: make new reminder from typed text
  • Contacts: list groups followed by contacts, alphabetically
  • Dash: search Dash
  • Day One: make new entry with the typed text
  • Droplr: share a new Markdown note from the typed text
  • Evernote: search notes
  • nvALT: new note from typed text
  • Twitter: new tweet from the typed text
  • etc.

Unfortunately MS Word & friends are quite dead in LB, too.

1 Like

Thanks for the info @Tom.

OK, you got me excited with this one.
Unfortunately, LB replaces SPACE with %20 in the search:
tag:en.mac%20update
which, of course, makes the search fail.

Do you know any way to correct this behavior?

Confirmed. I wonder if it is the framework, or maybe the recent file list is stored in a non-std file/location. Any ideas on how to make this work?

1 Like

Seems like a bug to me.

In normal searches a “+” instead of a space works. But not for a literal tag search.

1 Like

It seems LB is trying to use Evernote’s URL scheme. Because when I search with evernote://search/two%20words the search string also ends up encoded in Evernote’s search bar.

But as far as I know there is no way to have unencoded spaces in an URL.

1 Like