How Do I Delete All Files in Downloads Folder with a Hot Key?

files_folders

Hi all,

I'm new to this, I would like to set up a keyboard shortcut to delete everything in the downloads folder, I tried "delete file" and the downloads folder but it failed.

Can anyone recommend a macro?

@jasonbb, I hope you don't mind that I have revised your topic title to better reflect the question you have asked.

New user help with macro

TO:
How Do I Delete All Files in Downloads Folder with a Hot Key?

Providing a succinct, yet descriptive title about your problem/issue will greatly help you attract more experienced users to help solve your problem, and will help future readers find your question, and the solution.

Now, to answer your question:

You can try a For Each action with a Collection of items in a folder (where folder is ~/Downloads), and then use the File Actions action (with Delete) acting on the For Each variable.

Let us know if you need more help.

Remember to ensure you have good backups before automating a task that goes around deleting files and folders.

I would also recommend you use the Trash a File action rather than the Delete a File action (and in any event, the Downloads folder tends to be full of packages which are folders, so you would need to use the very dangerous Recursively Delete a File action).

Hey Jason,

This is easily and safely done with AppleScript.

All items are moved to the Trash, so you can recover if you make a mistake.

-Chris

Move Items in Downloads Folder to the Trash.kmmacros (5.2 KB)