How to create a search box to find a favorite action via the menu

When I am writing a macro, I have 2 options to insert an action

• type the insert action by name shortcut → type a few words → pick the action from the drop down list. The problem with this method is that the insert action by name box is small (and cannot be resized by resize last engine window) in addition to which more than 1/2 of the space is occupied by the action itself, which leaves little space for the names. Since I use long names for my many favorite actions (containing keywords, etc), the names are inevitably truncated, and it's difficult to identify the right action in the list

• the alternative is to go via the menu edit → insert action → favorites in which my favorites are displayed in a nice large box and the names easy to read, but I have to tediously scroll down my many favorites to find the right one.

Is there a way to add a search box to edit → insert action → favorites menu to benefit from the wide window?

I was told in the past that it's not possible to increase the width of the insert action by name box.

thanks in advance for your time and help

Screenshot (click to expand/collapse)

Have you seen @DanThomas' excellent Favorite Actions and Macros?

It uses a custom HTML prompt to display its lists, so you could (I assume) modify the HTML file to expand the area (though it's already wider than the built-in version).

-rob.

2 Likes

thank you very much. Excellent suggestion. I posted a question to Dan Thomas because I am only able to change the add action (F15) HTML window heights, not widths.

You'll probably have to edit the actual HTML for the prompt, in the file on the disk in the support folder. But hopefully Dan can explain exactly what to change and where.

-rob.

1 Like

I looked precisely in that folder but still unable to figure it out.
I am very surprised that I am the first to discuss this issue. Some actions have many possible variations, which obviously have to be put in the action name.
thanks again !

I'm pretty sure it's in Select Favorite Action.html, but don't have time to play around with it right now. Hopefully Dan chimes in in the other thread :).

-rob.

1 Like

I did. :smile:

2 Likes