How to create app specific sub-menu

Hello,
I am trying to get around the problem of having so many KBM app specific hotkeys
I created groups for each of my major apps. Example below: Evernote

Within each group, I create specific shortcuts which I would like to trigger via a menu. The name of each macro starts with a number or a letter which is the corresponding trigger.
In the case below, from within Evernote, I type Ctrl-E, the menu appears, but when I type '1', nothing happens.

I know that this macro (send by email) works when I use it as a shortcut but not as a menu item, triggered by typing the number '1'

I would be grateful if someone would be able to help me see the light.

thanks very much

Hello @ronald, I also work with pallets. However, I do not resolve the actions with numbers / letters. Have the days created something for the company Techsmith. Maybe the Video will help you

1 Like

Hello ! Very impressive video !!

I have to go through the video a few more times to better understand, especially the submenus.

It is astounding!

I will get back to you after having better digested your methodology.

Herzlichen Dank !!

OK alles gut. Works fine now.
I prefer it when I add a trigger in front of each menu item.
Herzlichen Dank

1 Like

Freut mich, wenn ich helfen konnte. Kannst mir bei Fragen auch gerne eine Nachricht schreiben.
Glad I could help. If you have any questions feel free to contact me :wink:

1 Like

thank you again.
It’s funny: just before clicking on the link, I had a very little hesitation: what if it was the ransomware and applelaner was a north korean agent! - just joking.
You were a great help

I understand you very well. In modern times you can not be careful enough :+1:
For security these videos will soon be uploading to my Vimeo channel. There you can then search for yourself and open everything without a link.

Unfortunately KM Palettes (except for the Conflict Palette) do NOT support selecting of the macro by typing the first character of the macro name. You have to explicitly set a trigger for each macro. In this case, you need to set a trigger of "1" for the "1 Send Note to Email" macro.

As @JMichaelTX indicates, only the Conflict Palette will actively make triggers for you based on the names of the entries.

You can add the hot key trigger “1” to the macro.

You probably do not want the “global macro” trigger on the macro - that will make the macro appear in the Global Floating Palette which is a different palette altogether. And it will only appear in the Global Floating Palette when the Evernote Group palette is active (ie, displayed), so it is probably pointless having the macro appear in both the Evernote Group and the Global Floating Palette.

@peternlewis @JMichaelTX @applelaner
Thank you for your answers. It works now.
I was misled by the fact that I have some macros with first letter hot triggers precisely because they are conflict palette based, and thought that it would apply to groups. Adding triggers is no problem
I am working on optimizing workflow speed.
Let’s say that I have an app specific group containing macros.
1- The group is activated & macros displayed when I type the hotkey within the app in question, and
2- individual macros are add a trigger as per JMTx’s reply,
would there be any way to add a text box to the macro display, in which I would put a few notes about the app?.
thanks again

You can't put a text box in the Palette, but you could have a macro in the Palette that displays a Prompt for user input. The problem with that is the KM Prompt does NOT have a multi-line text box, so if you need that you will have to use something different. Some choices for multi-line input are:

1. KM HTML Prompt

I like option #1. It will take a bit of work, but gives you more flexibility, and could be designed as a reusable sub-macro. There are a number of macros that have been posted showing how to use HTML prompt.

1 Like

thanks very much. I will test the different options

Hi!

I have the same question but the video is unavailable :frowning: Is there a chance you still have it?

Unfortunately I have already deleted this @Solmyr87. I can create a new one for you.
What kind of pallet design are you interested in?
Once I use a palette that I trigger via the keyboard:

2020_01_19_Support_km

and then palettes, which I use with only the mouse cursor:

2020_01_19_Support_km1

Hello!

How very kind of you! I would like to press a keyboard shortcut, in this case in BBEdit, to be able to open a menu with sub-menus. So first press shortcut -> menu and then move up and down with up and down keys to choose sub-menu and then right key to go into that sub-menu and choose a text to paste. For example, if my top menu is called HTML and my sub-menus are called Table, CSS and Scripts. If I choose something in the menus Table and CSS a text will be pasted and if I choose something in the Scripts menu a script will be run.

Is that possible? :slight_smile:

Palettes can not be navigated with the arrow keys, so I'm afraid they won't help for that particular use case. However, if you just want to just access BBEdit's many menu items from the keyboard, are you aware of the new (since 12.5, I believe) Commands feature that lets you search through all of its, well, commands just like you'd search Spotlight or Alfred? It's mapped to U by default, and is worth familiarizing yourself with if you use BBEdit at all.

1 Like

That was a very useful feature for BBEdit, I was not aware of that, thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

But for pasting custom text, in any program, is it possible to get sub-menus for different types of text via the palettes? I don't necessarely have to navigate with the arrow keys. Any ways will do. Even if I have to click with the mouse. As long as I can get sub-menus for my custom texts instead of having them all in one big column that would really make my work easier :smiley:

If you're okay with using the mouse, then yes, you definitely have options. From what you've described so far, I think I would first try making a macro group for the different texts, assign the group a shortcut that shows a palette, then create macros in that group for each type of text. These macros would then just need a Prompt With List action that references the texts for that group (assuming you already have these saved in some sort of file that the action can read) and configure the prompt to save the chosen text to the clipboard, followed by a paste action (or an Execute Script action in the scripts' case). Those macros would look something like this:

How are these texts you want to reference and paste currently set up on your system? The more information you share, the easier it is for us to help. For best practices, see Tip: How Do I Get The Best Answer in the Shortest Time?

1 Like

Thank you for your kind answers!

I will try the things you are suggesting next week when I have some time to experiment. I hadn't thought you could have your text snippets in a document instead of single actions.

Right now I use BetterTouchTool for pasting texts and Keyboard Maestro for other actions, but when I started reading about palettes and found this thread I figured it would be nice to have texts grouped in sub-menus.

But in BTT I currently have texts in single actions connected to a shortcut.

So it simply pastes custom text.

Since I own both BTT and KM I figured I'd try KM for pasting my texts instead since the sub-menu feature seems nice :slight_smile:

I have tried your suggestions now and they work just as I had hoped they would! Thank you so much for your help :smiley:

1 Like