How to Prevent a Macro From Running Twice at the Same Time?

Occasionally I misremember my hotkeys and trigger the same macro again instead of hitting a keystroke assigned to a pause until in that macro. Anyway to prevent the second instance from starting if the first one is already active?

Yep. Use a Semaphore Lock action.

I noticed that the question in your topic title is not the same as the one in your post:

(1) How to prevent a macro from running twice at the same time?

≠

(2) Anyway to prevent the second instance from starting if the first one is already active?‌

‌‌
For question (1) the default Semaphore Lock is sufficient: The triggered macro instances will be queued, but each one will run eventually. (One after the other.)

For question (2) you need either…

• a Semaphore lock with a very short timeout, as explained in point 4 of this section of the Semaphore Lock KM Wiki article, or…
  • a Disable Macro action at the beginning and an Enable Macro action at the end of the macro.
    ‌

Here are four minimal examples to demonstrate it:

The core actions of each macro are…

• a pause of 5 seconds
  • a Speak Text action “Action Completed”

To get a picture of the differences, launch each macro with its hotkey trigger, then press the hotkey again 4 times during the 5-seconds pause. (Or more often if you like.)
‌

Normal macro without anything special

10-pty-fs8
[mwe] Pure Macro (Without Anything).kmmacros (2.0 KB)

:arrow_forward: After 5 seconds you will hear “Action Completed” 5 times, almost at the same time (depending on your speed when you were pressing the hotkey ×5).
‌

With Semaphore Lock (default settings)

55-pty-fs8
[mwe] Semaphore Lock (Default).kmmacros (2.3 KB)

:arrow_forward: After 5 seconds you will hear “Action Completed” 5 times, in intervals of 5 seconds.
‌

With Semaphore Lock (very short timeout)

16-pty-fs8
[mwe] Semaphore Lock (with Very Short Timeout).kmmacros (2.4 KB)

:arrow_forward: After 5 seconds you will hear “Action Completed” once.
‌

With Disable/Enable Macro actions

21-pty-fs8
[mwe] Disable:Enable Macro.kmmacros (2.5 KB)

:arrow_forward: After 5 seconds you will hear “Action Completed” once.

‌
Disclaimer: I’m not using Semaphore Locks very often, so it is quite possible that I’m missing some details.

6 Likes

This is super helpful and educational, you're completely correct on the title, thanks so much!