How to Rename a Prompt for User Action Variable and have it Retain a Number

I am using the following text for a variable name in a prompt for user input action.
Duration__Duration_in_Minutes
When I display the variable Duration in a window after running that prompt it always comes up 0.
Why is that?

Because the name of the variable is Duration__Duration_in_Minutes. The double-underscore controls what you see onscreen, not what KM sees internally:

(And no, I don't recommend naming variables using Variable as part of their names—ever! I just typed what came to mind for that simple demo, and well, a bad example was the result :). But you can see that the internal name is the full variable field.)

-rob.

Dang! thanx man.

And, I need to tell you that your awesome back up macro saved my bacon Saturday!
Thank you for that also...

You're welcome!

And on the original subject, perhaps where the confusion comes from is that in a Prompt With List, the double-underscores mark what's returned by choosing an entry. In this example...

...if I run it and press "T", then "Tipbox" is saved in local_theAction, but only the portion to the right of the double-underscore is displayed in the Prompt With List dialog.

-rob.

1 Like