How to switch Google Chrome profile

I want to switch Google Chrome profile with a key trigger. Is it possible to do? please advice

What do you mean by “switch chrome browser to a specific browser”?

@peternlewis
Sorry what i mean was specific profile

Hey @abbas_zahid,

A fair amount can be done with Chrome from the command line.

Here's one example:

Change User Profile In Google Chrome.kmmacros (2.5 KB)

NOTE – I'm not sure the current profile can be changed in the Front window via this method – but it's worth investigating.

-Chris

1 Like

@ccstone kinda works, but doesn't switch to specific profile correctly I have a pofile name TEST but it doesn’t switch to it.

Hey @abbas_zahid,

Your profiles are not necessarily named the way you think they are. Look in here

~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/

Use the Spotlight search field in the Finder to search for your profile name and look for any “Preferences” files you find.

~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/Preferences

My main profile is NOT named “Default”...

~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Profile 1/Preferences

My other profile is NOT named “Profile 1”...

So – you have to do a little detective work.

-Chris

Here we are 5 years later and this answer is still very helpful. I was needing to do this same thing. Open up Google Chrome using a specific profile and navigating to a specific URL. @ccstone was right that it took some detective work to find the right profile in the Google/Chrome directory (as I have many), but I was able to determine which Preferences file had the email associated with the profile I wanted, that gave me the profile folder name I needed, which allowed me to get the terminal code to work. I now have my Automation running smoothing. Thank you, @ccstone! (I have even copied your credit text into my macro for credit :wink:

Here's the code if anyone needs it in the future:

#!/usr/bin/env bash
# ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Auth: Christopher Stone
# dCre: 2018/04/28 04:32
# dMod: 2018/04/28 04:32
# Appl: Google Chrome
# Task: Open URLs in Specific Profile Windows.
# Tags: @Shell, @Script, @Open, @URLs, @Specific, @Profile, @Windows
# ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Location of Chrome's app support folder:
# /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome

open -na 'Google Chrome' --args --new-window --profile-directory='Profile 4' 'https://thechristianchain.org' 

Seems easier to select from the "Profiles" menu.

That's how I do it for the equivalent "People" menu in Brave Browser (another member of the Chromium browser family). It works perfectly.