How to Trigger a Macro by Channel Selection in Cubase 12?

Hi everyone. I'm trying to trigger a macro by selecting a channel in Cubase 12.

For example if I select a channel titled 'Piano' a certain macro would run and if I select a channel called 'Synth' another macro would run.

I can't figure out how to let Keyboard Maestro know which channel I've selected. Any tips appreciated.

Thanks

Can you clarify which flavour of Cubase 12 you are using: Pro or Elements?

Yes, I'm using Cubase Pro 12

Create a new macro and set the trigger for it to be USB Device Key Trigger
2023-03-03_10-00-43

The macro will then look like this
2023-03-03_10-01-38

Then just click your mouse button to enter it into the trigger field.

I can't test this myself since I have a Magic Trackpad, but a quick search of this forum leads me to believe it should allow you to trigger with a mouse click as required. Your macro will then have to determine what it is that you've actually clicked on and that might be a bit tricky to work out.

I don't use Cubase, but give this a try:

Cubase - Actions per Track Name.kmmacros (23 KB)

Macro screenshot

This won't run automatically on track selection (KM doesn't have a trigger for that), but it will run different actions depending on the selected track's name.

1 Like

Further to the above, you may be able to cobble something together that works with mouse clicks, as @tiffle suggested, but it would be necessarily complex and could create more problems than it solves.

What is the nature of the kind of macro you'd like to run upon track selection? For all we know, this might be an XY problem.

Hi @noisneil - I just so happened to have downloaded a trial of Cubase and there isn't a menu command to rename the first selected track - that I could find anyway.

However, under the Edit menu there's a Key Commands option that lets you assign a keyboard shortcut for that command - but even when you've done that it is only accessible via the keyboard shortcut you've set up. So your macro would work if you replace the Select Menu action with a type keystroke action such as

1 Like

I only had the internet to go on for this, so thanks for the correction!

1 Like

OK - I've taken your suggested approach @noisneil and constructed a macro that works on my system.

Things to note are:

The red action must be changed to type the keyboard shortcut you've set up in the Edit > Key Commands section in Cubase.

You can try assigning the USB Device Key trigger as described in the KM Forum post at How to Trigger a Macro by Channel Selection in Cubase 12? - #4 by tiffle but this macro is set to trigger when F5 is pressed; in this case make sure you've clicked with your mouse on a track first.

The track names in the macro are taken from one of the demo projects supplied with Cubase; you'll need to change these to reflect your own track names.

On a slow Mac, you might need to enable the two Pause actions.

Here's the macro:

Download Macro(s): Test Cubase Trigger Track Names.kmmacros (12 KB)

Macro-Image

Macro-Notes
  • Macros are always disabled when imported into the Keyboard Maestro Editor.
    • The user must ensure the macro is enabled.
    • The user must also ensure the macro's parent macro-group is enabled.
System Information
  • macOS 10.14.6
  • Keyboard Maestro v10.2

BTW - it's best to put this macro in a Cubase-only macro group.

2 Likes

Still, I had Cubase and didn't find that!!