How To Trigger a Macro Once After 2pm If Another Condition Has Been Met?

I'm trying to get it to open an app after 2pm if there's inactivity (30 minutes of doing nothing) on the machine. Only want to do it once though, so if there's activity until 3:45pm the app opens at 3:45, but not 3:46 and 3:47 - is there a way to do this with Keyboard Maestro?

(I'm on macOS if AppleScript makes it easier.)

Hey @kmhelp,

Welcome to the forum!  :sunglasses:

Keyboard Maestro only runs on macOS, so that's a moot point.

Your question is vague and contradictory – please clarify, so we can help you.

-Chris

Got it, thanks Chris! :slight_smile:

So I want Keyboard Maestro to open Messenger (or bring it to front) on the condition that:

1. it's after 2pm
    AND
  2. it's after 30 minutes of inactivity

So if I'm not on my computer since 1:30pm, Messenger would be opened at 2pm, whereas if I'm on my computer until 3:07pm, Messenger would be opened at 3:37pm. But I only want that action to be done once day, so if Messenger is opened at 2pm, it wouldn't be opened at 2:01pm and so on.

Is that more clear? Thanks again!

That's doable.

I don't have any idle triggers, so I'm not going to take the time to pony one up.

Here's one example:

Trigger: when Mac is idle (THEN STOP) - #6 by _jims

I'd probably:

• Use a global time-of-day triggered macro set to 2:00pm to activate an IDLE-Trigger sub-macro.

• If the IDLE-Trigger macro activates Messenger then it disables itself and won't be activated again until the next clock cycle.

Keyboard Maestro has IDLE, Time-Of-Day, and Cron triggers amongst others: Macro Triggers user manual section.

So you have a great deal of flexibility.

-Chris

I tried doing it, but it kept on showing Messenger every 30 minutes I was idle. Here is what I did:

(I changed the "idle" to 1 minute to test it out. It would show me Messenger every idle minute)

Is this a bug, or did I screw up some of the settings?

What you need to do is have messenger top enable (not execute) messenger sub at 2pm, and when messenger sub runs (after the appropriate idle time) its final action is to disable itself. So something like:

...and:

2 Likes