I need help making an apple script that'll open a program in system preferences

Hi. I'm new to these forums, but I need help creating a macro that'll first open the Network Link Conditioner(shown here)

and then would trigger the on/off button (shown here) I tried using this macro to achieve the same thing(shown here) but it doesn't work that well. Any help will be appreciated!! :slight_smile:

I don't have that SP add-in, but maybe this AppleScript can help you identify the button that turns it on/off:

property paneID : "com.apple.Network-Link-Conditioner"
tell application "System Preferences"
  activate
  set the current pane to pane id paneID
end tell

delay 0.5

tell application "System Events"
  tell application process "System Preferences"
    set oWin to window 1
    oWin
  end tell
end tell

If you run this in Script Debugger 7 , you will see a hierarchical list of elements in that pane, like this example from another pane:

From that you should be able to identify the button/element for the on/off switch.
Most likely you will want to set its "value" property to "0" for off and "1" for on.

If you need help with the script, post a screenshot showing the details of the element of interest.

Here's what came up.

In order to be useful, you will need to explore, drill-down, into the window element hierarchy and find the element of interest.

The screenshot will be easier to read if you will:

1. Expand the upper results pane to show all of the hierarchy
  2. Capture ONLY the results area, as I did in my above example.

Sorry, are these screenshots good?

Thanks in advance! :smiley:

Much better!

Do these look like the buttons you want to control:

If so, then fully expand each so we can see all of the properties and elements.

If not, then find the buttons of interest, and expand them.

Here you go :smiley:

:smiley:

Are you there? :worried:

Yes, but I am very busy. It may be a few days before I can continue to help you.
Meanwhile, you have all the tools you need to solve this problem. Exploring in SD7 and some trial-and-error scripts can lead you to a solution.