Inability to set hoy keys

A while back I upgraded to Catalina on both my iMac and my Macbook Pro. After jumping through all the permissions hoops, I thought I was all set. Then I noticed that I am not able to set hot keys on the iMac, though I still am able on the Macbook. The problem on the iMac persists even after starting up in safe mode. I'm just wondering whether anyone else has experienced this.

Mojave/Catalina:

You will have to ensure you enable Accessibility for both Keyboard Maestro and Keyboard Maestro Engine. If you have any troubles with accessibility (eg typing keystrokes, selecting menus, copy/paste, etc), you need to toggle the accessibility permissions (System Preferences, Security & Privacy, Privacy, Accessibility) for Keyboard Maestro and Keyboard Maestro Engine off and then on again.

Catalina:

Catalina continues the tradition started in Mojave of being difficult with the Accessibility permissions, and I have several reports of people having troubles enabling accessibility for Keyboard Maestro Engine, which is required for many things.

You should report this to Apple using the Feedback mechanism - the more people who report it, the most chance Apple might fix it, though I am not holding my breath.

Thankfully, once you convince it, there should be no further problems. You should be able to remove the Keyboard Maestro Engine entry from the accessibility permissions, then quit and relaunch the Keyboard Maestro Engine (in Keyboard Maestro, File ➤ Quit Engine, File ➤ Launch Engine), and then you should be able to enable it. You probably do not need to restart, and if things are still causing problems you can use the “tccutil reset Accessibility” command to reset the Accessibility permissions.

See: Accessibility Permission Problem assistance.

Thanks Peter.

I read all of that before, and I tried all of that (before posting), to no avail.

Ty

Including the tccutil reset Accessibility command?

If so, then you will have to ask Apple for help.