Is it conceivable to create a macro to pin windows (not split screen)?

your videos are superb, including the one above. I am one of your subscribers on youtube.

I don’t understand your use of the 2 finger tap for 2 reasons:

• I thought that 2 finger tap was reserved for the context (right click menu). I am surprised that you would have reassigned such a common gesture.

• which app does your 2 finger activate?

Please note that I am ignorant. My questions are exactly that: questions. Certainly not comments or criticisms.

Vielen Dank

1 Like

I looked at reviews and Dropzone seems generally better rated than Yoink which is described as ‘basic’. If you use it, it must be for a good reason.

1 Like

Look at your messages, please. I answered you there.

Thank you very much Tom.

I was reviewing the topic of floating windows, bought Fluid, but I can't find anywhere in Fluid the dialog box you describe.

thanks

The only options I see are the following:

Hi Ronald,

obviously, first of all, you have to create your “Fluid app” (that is, a standalone website). For example:

14-pty-fs8

Then open the Preferences of the created Fluid app (“KM Forum” in my example):

23-pty-fs8

In the Preferences go to “Appearance”:

09-pty-fs8

There you’ll find the setting for the window behavior:

45-pty-fs8

1 Like

now I understand !
I did not realize that the created app would itself have preferences.
You are very kind for giving such a detailed and well illustrated answer.

Yoink might be basic but it allows me to drop text, as opposed to files. I don’t believe Dropzone can handle text. Somebody please correct me if I’m wrong.

yes, you are right.
There are some disadvantages: contrary to clipboards, the content of each clip is not obvious ie easily visible. If you accumulate multiple items (text, files, etc), it becomes a pain and impedes workflow.
Another big pain is that contrary to clipboard, if you drag and drop text+image, you only end up with text as per below.
Because of that to using dropzone for files and clipboards for text.
Which clipboard manager do you use ? I am looking for a powerful versatile clipboard for my workflow. They all have significant disadvantages.

initial text + image

Yoink

do you think that it’s safe to create a gmail app with fluid, using my gmail inbox URL?
I did it and when I activate the gmail app, I am asked for my login and password. Is it as safe as doing it in Chrome ?
thanks very much

Fluid is using WebKit (the same as Safari). Assuming that everything is implemented correctly, then it should be as safe as Safari. In any case, I would trust it more than Chrome.

1 Like

thank you Tom

For security purposes, should one assume that the Webkit used by Fluid to create apps, as well as the webkit component of each app, are updated regularly by Fluid, just like Safari is so often updated to deal with security threats ?
If there is anything I should ask the developer, let me know. I will write to him and report back to you.
thanks

Yes, WebKit is regulary updated by Apple. With Safari updates or OS updates, not sure; maybe both.

You can reach the dev (Todd Ditchendorf) on Twitter: here or there

1 Like

thanks very Tom for providing the contact info

I am using two macros to help me with disappearing windows while working on layers of interlocking windows.
I use a plugin action from Activate application by name string

First I designate the window to bring back later with a shortcut, and then with a similar shortcut I bring it back. Very handy, and does not require additional software.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay. Thank you for your post. I will have a look at your macro.

Hello Tom,
Since you recommended Fluid, I use it all the time.
Do you think that it is safe ? a good idea ? to use gmail as a stand alone Fluid generated app ?
thanks very much !

What do mean with “safe”? Security? Privacy? In that case I would say that gmail (or any other Google stuff) is the main thing to worry about.

Didn’t you ask a very similar question back in in March? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, Tom, you are right, and you did give me an excellent answer at that time which I had even filed in my Evernote.
My profuse apologies for not checking before asking the question, and wasting your time today.
I will be more careful in the future

No problem :slight_smile: