Is it conceivable to create a shortcut to ... edit a KBM macro?

PS:

My suggestion above prevents Scrivener from displaying the file contents, which is – probably – not what you want.

I don’t see a way to save as rtf and get the document opened by an external editor from within Scrivener. You can drag the document icon to the Nisus app in the Dock; but then it will ask you for a save location, since the files are inside the scriv bundle.

1 Like

Thanks very much for your research and comments.
In terms of workflow, I found that drag-drop Nisus RTF into a document (not into the dock or binder) creates a link. When clicked, the RTF opens in Nisus (now my default app for RTF).
It’s too bad in a way not to be able to see the RTF
I wonder if there would be a way to create a Scrivener document, with as title the filename, and content the link to the rtf file which opens in Nisus , and create a sub-document which would simply display the content of the RTF file by a completely different mechanism, perhaps some kind of rtf to pdf conversion routine

Once again, Nisus is superb.

Nisus compressed does not display in Scrivener

Correct, see my post above.

BTW, I’m not sure whether it is a good idea to edit Scrivener’s RTFs with an external editor. I guess Scrivener is using certain special formatting elements (or at least formatting conventions) for a proper display in its integrated RTF reader. You’ll have to try it out. As mentioned, I’m not very familiar with Scrivener.

1 Like

good point, thanks
do you think it would be possible in Scrivener to simply display file content, like spacebar in Finder?

Not sure if I understand correctly. But I noticed that I can simply drag any document into a scrivener document: it will build a clickable link and display the name of the linked document in the text.

Edit/PS:

Like here:

The linked file (“External Document”) is a RTF file and when I click it it opens externally (in Nisus)

1 Like

yes,
a document contains the list to the RTF document which opens in Nisus: fine, done exactly as you say.
I would also like to view the file contents in Scrivener
I would create a sub document which would somehow display the content of the RTF file (not edit it). Something like you see if you spacebar on a filename in Finder****

You mean Quick Look. It seems in Scrivener the usual Quick Look shortcut (Spacebar) is mapped differently (it opens the doc in an extra editor window). Don’t know if there is any replacement. I’m sure you know Scrivener better than I do…

1 Like

thanks very much !! I will look into it. Have a nice day

Wünsch ich dir auch!

Hi, it’s funny that when I copy paste from Nisus RTF to Evernote, a lot of the formatting (colors for example) is lost, which is a pain. thanks

Hi Ronald,

what happens if you make the RTF in another app and paste from there? (TextEdit, Word, Pages, …)

1 Like

@Tom @JMichaelTX
Hello Tom. Thanks for your interest.
I carried out the tests you recommend and you are right. Same problem, so the issue is therefore with Evernote.

• also interesting: when I copy paste from Nisus RTF in column format to the KBM text box, the column display is lost. It becomes one long document.
  • Nisus: By the way, I use lists a lot. Do you know how to (including shortcut) move items up and down Nisus lists? Looked everywhere and could only find R and L movement shortcuts . Even among the configurable shortcuts, choices are limited to R-L, which is very unusual in the word processor world.
  • I contacted Scrivener support: they say that there is no way to edit RTF with external editor in Scrivener .

It seems so. I’ve also found this on the Evernote forum (Nov 2015):

That’s what I tried to explain in an earlier post. Quoting myself:

You got an answer on the Nisus forum, saying that there isn’t any shortcut for that. I don’t know one either.

which is very unusual in the word processor world.

You are right. It works in MS Word with ⌃⇧⇡⇣ and in LibreOffice with ⌥⌘⇡⇣. Didn’t know that, thanks!

For outlines I mostly use a dedicated outliner. There are quite some very good ones for the Mac:

1 Like

thank you.
I tried the different outliners, and one, IMO, stands out today. It is OutlineEdit. I use if **a lot. **strong text****The old version was so so, but the new version is very nice. In addition, files can be displayed and edited (external editor) in Scrivener which makes up for Scrivener poor outline function (despite what they say). In addition, OutlineEdit has a fun feature: a safari addi-on which puts text you highlight directly into an outline. Useful when I read a technical text.
The idea behind Tree 2 is OK, but it has not really improved which is why I dropped it. The vertical display is nice at first but quickly overloads the pages and becomes impossible to print, unless you have Argusaugen. Also support, in my experience has been very poor.
I used the Mind Mapping software for years, from expensive to cheap, and my conclusion is that it’s a joke. Perfect for idiot executive MBA types. The reason is that 90% of time and effort is put into playing around with the display instead of the underlying text and concepts.

1 Like

it's the eternal problem with the Evernote editor.

[quote=“ronald, post:36, topic:7000”]
OutlineEdit.[…] OutlineEdit has a fun feature: a safari addi-on which puts text you highlight directly into an outline.[/quote]

Looks very interesting. Thanks for the tip!

how do you create such a nicely displayed answer: , ie a series of statements by me and replies by you?

Select the text to be quoted, then click on “Quote”: