Is it possible to create a macro which would open the highlighted file in pathfinder in the app of my choice?

the problem with default apps (for example choosing PDF Expert for PDFs) is that the choice is limited to one app.
Sometimes I want to open the highlighted pdf file in PDF expert, other times in adobe, etc
Each one of these apps have useful features which are unique to them.
thanks very much in advance for your time and help

Well I don’t have PathFinder, but I guess it’s similar: To open a document with an alternative application, just right-click it in the Finder and you will see a list where you can choose from.

If you tend to alternate only between two applications you could build a KM macro along these lines:

That is:

If I open a selected document with ⌃⌥⌘⇣ it will be opened with the alternative app as set in the KM macro. If I open a document “normally” (⌘⇣ or double-click) it will be opened with my usual default app.

For example:

• If I open a HTML document “normally” it will open in Safari by default; if I open it with ⌃⌥⌘⇣ it will open in BBEdit.
  • I usually open my Text and TeX documents with BBEdit, if I open them with ⌃⌥⌘⇣ they will open in TextMate.
    ‌‌

If you have more than two preferred applications for a given document type you can complicate the thing by adding a test for an additional modifier key(s), or simply creating another macro with a different hotkey.

Here is the file from the screenshot above, but of course you have to set your own file extensions and applications for it to make sense:
Open with Alternate Application.kmmacros (6.8 KB)

1 Like

fantastic solution.
thanks very much, Tom

For your convenience, I added the template macro file to the post above.

1 Like

thanks very much

Hey Roland,

Search for:

user:ccstone "Path Finder"

And you’ll find the scripted approach.

If you decide you want to experiment with that let me know.

-Chris

1 Like

thank you Chris. I will look into it.