Is There a Way to Add a Note to Myself Somehow in KM Editor?

When in KM editor, I often want to add a note of documentation (i.e., a comment) about why I'm choosing a particular approach (or why not). I don't see any way to do that, but I'll bet someone knows how or has a best practice. Please advise!

you can add a Comment from the list of actions:

many KM users also change its color to green (click the gear of the comment box to change its color). Check other threads and you'll start to notice them

1 Like

Thank you, somehow I simply missed that.

1 Like

You can also rename actions to make their function more clear – this is often much cleaner than adding a comment.

It is also possible to add notes to the actions themselves using the gear-menu.

-Chris

2 Likes

Yes, good idea, thanks. Ironically, with an action selected, I cannot successfully write a keystroke macro to emulate the Actions > Set Note command. Typing the trigger for such a macro simply deletes the action (bizarre to me). I notice it is not in the list of All Actions, but nevertheless, I don't understand why KM doesn't execute that emulation.

What trigger?

This works perfectly for me using Keyboard Maestro 9.2 on macOS 10.12.6.

Open KM Action Note.kmmacros (2.2 KB)

-Chris

OMG, thank you. I hadn't included the ellipsis :roll_eyes:

:sunglasses:

It's always a good idea to use the Keyboard Maestro menu item selector to get your menu items. It'll save you a few palm-smacks...

1 Like

Good advice, will always do that from now on. Thanks again!

For me programming (I'm not superb at it) is always about the last one percent (stuff like that) = 50% of the time. Gotta use best practices like the one you described.