JSON to Variables

I know this has been discussed elsewhere in the forum, but I'm having trouble turning data from JSON into variables. Thanks to the folks at How to parse a JSON content - #6 by martin I feel like I'm on the right path but missing something crucial.

I've curled some Airtable data into a variable called ATLookup, which looks like this:

{
   "records" : [
      {
         "createdTime" : "2022-01-26T18:38:25.000Z",
         "fields" : {
            "Age" : "5",
            "Email" : “customer27394@gmail.com",
            "Parent First Name" : "Sarah",
            "Parent Last Name" : “Smith”,
            "Phone" : “(123) 555-5555”,
            "Student First Name" : “Junior”,
            "Student Last Name" : “Smith”
         },
         "id" : “rec728dlxx9
      }
   ]
}

I'm trying to extract the 'Age' data (i.e. just the number '5'). I've tried the following to no avail:

Any advice on how to get this working?

Perhaps that problem is on the supply-side (JSON glitches), rather than the demand side (%JSONValue%) ?

1. A number of the double quote characters in your JSON source are not the " used by JSON, but "smart quote" characters, which can't be parsed as JSON.
  2. There doesn't appear to be any closing quote at all at the end of the id string

i.e, that string is not yet JSON, but could become JSON with a few fixes.

Ah, I think those must be errors on my end, my apologies - I redacted some of the info for privacy and think I got a little sloppy. Here's the JSON result as it appears from curl (and prettified) - still not working with the %JSONValue% stuff, though:

{
   "records" : [
      {
         "createdTime" : "2022-01-26T18:38:25.000Z",
         "fields" : {
            "Age" : "5",
            "Email" : "customer_goes_here@gmail.com",
            "Parent First Name" : "Sarah",
            "Parent Last Name" : "Smith",
            "Phone" : "(123) 555-5555",
            "Student First Name" : "Joe",
            "Student Last Name" : "Smith"
         },
         "id" : "recDu2872d"
      }
   ]
}

In addition, you don't yet have the full path to the Age key.

Assuming that we re-rewrite your source, supplying JSON double quotes wherever they are needed:

%JSONValue%ATlookup.records[1].fields.Age%

(Notice that JSONValue index references to Array elements are 1-based – position 0 is reserved, and references an integer length value for the array)

JSON value path.kmmacros (2.9 KB)

2 Likes

Ah, that did it - thanks so much! I didn't know about using [1] at all.

The records key is pointing to an Array there – not directly to the single object which it contains.

3 Likes