Keyboard Maestro hangs when browsing app menus

When I'm browsing the little submenu for selecting or showing a menu item, if I start to navigate by keyboard—typing to jump to the closest match in the menu—I always get the beachball for 15 seconds or so. Is this a bug?

Thanks!

I think it is because it traverses the menu for all running apps.
fre. 24. apr. 2015 kl. 15.38 skrev Jack_Brannen <
kmforum@forum.keyboardmaestro.com>:

Could it index the menu items, I wonder? Maybe that’s a question for our dear developer.

I also wonder why KM shows all menus when I’ve already narrowed my focus to Mail—as in the screenshot above. That seems like a bug. Anybody else have this issue?

I would guess it is beach-balling because it is a dynamically generated menu which only builds menus as needed, but when you type the system decides to build more menus that are necessary for some reason (good luck reporting that issue to Apple!).

Because selecting from the menu will set the application configuration, as well as the menu and submenus.

(good luck reporting that issue to Apple!)

Hah! I'll pass! Thanks for the explanation.

also wonder why KM shows all menus when I've already narrowed my focus to Mail—as in the screenshot above.

Because selecting from the menu will set the application configuration, as well as the menu and submenus.

Sorry, Peter, I lost you here. What I was trying to ask was: if I have Mail selected as the application whose menu I want to select from, why does the dropdown continue to show me the menus of all applications? That is, if it can only pick from Mail, shouldn't it only show Mail?

Because despite having selected Mail, you are not locked in to that. If you select a menu item from a different application, the selected application will change.

You are thinking: “I have selected an application, so it should only show me that application’s menus”, but Keyboard Maestro’s reality is “I have selected an application, but I can select a different application and its menu”.

If you select a menu item from a different application, the selected application will change.

Aha, thanks.

Well, for what it's worth, I would gladly lose the ability to backtrack here if it meant the dropdown menu were filtered to only the selected application and were faster as a result. But I see maybe that's not the goal.

In general, I am thinking about ways to speed up the process of selecting menu items from KM. That is one step that I often feel slows me down, even with fuzzy/regex matching of menu items. I am always having to go back to the original app and double-check what submenu an item is found in and how things are spelled, etc. It breaks my flow. It would be cool if KM could filter or autocomplete my options somehow.

If that strikes you as crazy, then never mind! KM is already so fantastic, I know you know what you're doing!

Type ahead for selecting menu items is a good idea. I will add it to the list, but I doubt it will make it in to 7.0.

1 Like

Every time you mention 7.0, I get excited.

1 Like