Keyboard Maestro Suddenly Beachballs, Fails to Open, Odd Errors, Etc

Not sure what else to title this! Today Keyboard Maestro started acting up. Sometimes the editor won't open at all and I need to force quit it. Sometimes it's slow to respond when it does open. Sometimes macros don't fire. Sometimes I get a weird error like below. Almost all of the trouble shows up when I try to open the Editor.

I tried restarting KM, KME, the MacBook, uninstalling some homebrew and homebrew-cask cask stuff in installed recently (mostly quick look plugins), I tried uninstalling KM and reinstalling KM (this time through homebrew-cask), and several restarts etc.

Any other troubleshooting ideas? I'm including the list of stuff i've been tinkering with in homebrew because that's all new to me and maybe I goofed something up somehow.

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook9,1
Processor Name: Intel Core m3
Processor Speed: 1.1 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MB91.0159.B00
SMC Version (system): 2.35f105
Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 515
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB
System Version: macOS 10.13.2 (17C205)
Kernel Version: Darwin 17.3.0
System Integrity Protection: Enabled
Time since boot: 10 minutes

2018-01-19 19:30:00 Engine Starting 8.0.4
2018-01-19 19:30:00 Running application query took a while (7255 us)
2018-01-19 19:30:00 Running application query took a while (3977 us)
2018-01-19 19:30:01 Running application query took a while (8822 us)
2018-01-19 19:30:02 Running application query took a while (3529 us)
2018-01-19 19:30:36 Execute macro “Trigger Macro by Name” from trigger The Hot Key ⌃⌄⇧⌘Space is pressed
2018-01-19 19:30:38 Execute macro “Open KM Engine Log” from trigger Name
2018-01-19 19:30:49 Execute macro “Window Manipulation - L/TL/BL/F” from trigger The Hot Key ⌃⌄⌘Left Arrow is pressed
2018-01-19 19:31:01 Execute macro “Window Manipulation - R/TR/BR/F” from trigger The Hot Key ⌃⌄⌘Right Arrow is pressed
2018-01-19 19:31:21 Running application query took a while (3453 us)
2018-01-19 19:31:33 Execute macro “Screenshot to Clipboard With Selection” from trigger The Hot Key ⌃⌄⇧⌘4 is pressed
2018-01-19 19:31:35 Task failed with status 1
2018-01-19 19:32:42 Execute macro “Multifunction Paste” from trigger The regular expression “;vv[\w\?[^a-z|A-Z]]” is typed (then deleted)
2018-01-19 19:33:44 Execute macro “Trigger Macro by Name” from trigger The Hot Key ⌃⌄⇧⌘Space is pressed
2018-01-19 19:37:15 Execute macro “System and Hardware Info” from trigger The case ignoring string (after a word break) “;sysinfo” is typed (then deleted)

brew cask list
appcleaner          caffeine            iterm2              the-unarchiver
bartender           disk-inventory-x    keyboard-maestro    typinator
bbedit              firefox             sublime-text

brew list
advancecomp	highlight	libtiff		pngquant	youtube-dl
calc		imagemagick	libtool		pwgen
ccrypt		jpeg		little-cms2	readline
freetype	libpng		lua		xz

Nothing looks obvious in any of that. If Keyboard Maestro is beachballing, use Activity Monitor to get a sample of it and email it to support@stairways.com.

As far as the “/Irrelevent”, windows that have

[edited]

an icon displayed in the title bar have to have an associated path, and that is the path that is used. I have no idea how you get from that to the Document Drag Error.

Beachballing seems to be the wrong word, maybe. After another day of living with it, the most common issue is that the editor never opens, or if it does it takes forever to open and is very sluggish ocne it does. I'll try to find something useful in Activity Monitor.

I don't understand this. I think that error surface when I was frustratedly trying to move the KM editor window while the whole thing seemed to hang.

If you save a document in, say, Pages, and then command click in the title bar, it will display the path to the document.

"/Irrelevent" is the path that is used in Keyboard Maestro, simply so the icon shows up. Normally it shouldn't matter, but I guess somehow you managed to convince the system to try to drag it, perhaps because other things were going on.

1 Like

All right. So it seems like if I give it a long enough time, it eventually opens the editor, but shows a Not Responding message in the Force Quit Applications menu if I interfere while waiting. It seems to happen every time I quit and try to reopen the editor.

How can I sample that in Activity Monitor and show it to you?

Launch Activity Monitor, and when it is stalled, select Keyboard Maestro in Activity Monitor and choose Sample Process from the gear menu.

1 Like

After sending Peter the samples, it turns out that:

it is when Keyboard Maestro is checking the Keyboard Maestro Engine login item status (LSSharedFileListItemCopyResolvedURL). It appears that the Login Items list includes an item that is on a remote server that is not mounted (NetFSMountURLSync).

The hangups were only happening at work (I don't often tinker at home) and I have two NAS shares at home and had set them as login items. After removing the two Synology NAS shares from my login items, the issue went away.

Thanks Peter.

1 Like