Keystroke Not Working in a Particular Scenario

I use Todoist and a way to access the Settings panel is to hit O then S.

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 12.50.24 PM

When I actually type it on my keyboard, it works, but if I use KM with the Type a Keystroke for O and then one for S, nothing happens:

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 12.49.40 PM

Am I doing something wrong?

They also have the option to open the Search field by hitting F and when I create a shortcut for that (for testing purposes), the F Keystroke works, opening the search box.

Is the issue that I have 2 Keystroke actions together? Not sure if that's the way to do it?

Thanks!

It’s probably a timing issue: the app can’t respond as quickly as KM can type the keystrokes.

Try putting a Pause action in between the two keystroke actions (start with 0.5 second delay then fine tune it).

Is that a problem?

1 Like

Yes, I had that before, but using the Set Action Delay and it didn't work. I used the Pause now with 1 second, same thing:

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 1.18.39 PM

It's so weird, because actually typing on the physical keyboard works as expected.

No, I just mentioned that to illustrate that there's no issue with my keyboard or even with the way Todoist handles those shortcuts (unless the Find and the Settings have a different "inner" flow and that's causing an issue).

Here's what's weird:

• The Settings and Theme shortcuts don't work.

• The Activity Log accepts the A keystroke (not the G), as that is assigned to adding a new task, so it means that KM is running and reading the keystrokes, but Todoist doesn't seem to interpret the first keystroke...

• The Print also works without issues.

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 1.25.42 PM

Danny,

To resolve this, you just need to add a short delay at the start of macro like this to make it work. The first timing is bit longer 0.5s.

3 Likes

Thank you so much! That works! :slight_smile:

Do you know why that pause makes a difference?

Technically, the reason is because there is key event listener registered for the web app which listen for any key typed ( including KM Trigger Key, and the app shortcut key), so if you trigger KM shortcut key without the delay, it may be too fast for it to intercept the initial 'o' shortcut key.

2 Likes

I see. Makes sense. I will have that in mind from now on when something isn't working. Gotta give it some time to process each step.

Thank you so much for your precious help :slight_smile: