KM engine is capturing your screen; a new icon for Sonoma?

Today I upgraded to MacOS 14.0 (Sonoma). So far no problems and all the KM macros I've tested so far have worked just fine. I have noticed though that from time to time I see a purple icon in upper right of the screen and if I click on it I see the message shown in the screenshot.
Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 15.11.16

It goes away by itself after 20-30 seconds and is sometimes replaced by an orange icon with a microphone symbol... clicking that just dismisses the icon (no message)
Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 15.11.25

Neither seems to cause any issue but I wondered if the this is a Sonoma thing or just a KM thing I've never seen before. Any ideas?

It’s Sonoma. Many folks talked about this during the beta. Seems in the way doesn’t it? Not enough to complain because it might save your bacon if something is recording that you didn’t initiate. Just enough to say move!

2 Likes

I imagine you'll see that if you use any of the screen capturing facilities (like Click at Found Image or Screen Capture or Find Image on Screen actions.

No idea with the microphone, Keyboard Maestro doesn't use the microphone for anything.

2 Likes

MicroSnitch may be of help there.

I get that when you run a macro that needs to look at the screen, or when you are using the editor and want to size a window or something like that, but why must it keep looking at the screen when KM is doing nothing. It should go away when nothing is happening.

By quitting the engine and the app. Then just run the app again (which kicks the engine)--but then is NOT looking at the screen until I engage some "get" button to get the screen size or a macro that needs to look at the screen. But then the 'snoop the screen' thing stays on indefinitely. The only way to get it to stop is to quit the engine and the app, and relaunch again.

It seems like KM should fix that. I dont want any app continuously looking at the screen when it's doing nothing. I do not think this passes for "normal" behavior, but should be treated as a bug.

In my case, the icon does disappear after about 10-20 seconds and only reappears when a macro that looks for a picture runs.

1 Like

For me, as long as the KM editor open and showing a macro that uses image recognition that relates directly to the program I'm working with, it will be up there. Even if I switch to other programs, or cover up KM with another window, the alert is still up there. If I switch to a macro that doesn't use image recognition, it disappears.

I'm not that worried about it - it's just showing that the KM editor is open and working. Interesting that it's still working when it's not the program in focus, though.

Is there any way to get rid of this icon? I find it to be kind of distracting. I can certainly put up with it but if there's a way for it to be gone it would be nice.

Found this thread on Reddit in which a shareware author claims to have a solution but is waiting to hear back from Apple first with permission to block the annunciator. https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/176fsmj/screen_recording_𝙮𝙤𝙞𝙣𝙠/