KM not recognizing images in "Found Image Conditions"

My macros are not recognizing any new screenshots that I place in any action that requires a found image (e.g. Move and Click at Found Image, If statements for image on screen, etc). The odd thing is that my macros with old screenshots work perfectly fine, but any time I take a new screenshot and replace it in a macro, it just stops working there. I’ve tried adjusting the resolution (fuzziness?) and the screen location in the drop down. I clicked the “display” box and KM is not recognizing the images at all. Any tips?

Other things: I was previously using KM 7.3 but decided to update to 8.05 (and upgrade license) to see if that would change things, but it didn’t help.

My apologies if this is too obvious, but sometimes it’s the simple things that cause problems. I was having the same issue with a macro a while back when I realized I neglected to change the computer’s focus to the app in question first. For example, if I want KM to find an image in Safari, but I’m working in Mail, it ain’t gonna happen. Sometimes the same problem happens with window scrolling; the image you want is off the page and therefore a scan of the window reveals no pattern match (i.e. the Google logo is at the top of the page and you’ve scrolled to the bottom). Do you have a step to change focus to the app/window in question?

As @Steve_Solari notes - are your macros running at all? Is the match failing, or the action not running.

Have you adjusted the fuzz level appropriate?

Keyboard Maestro generally has a hard time finding small and grey scale images, so it also depends on your images.

Thanks for your help @Steve_Solari and @peternlewis. I tried your suggestions, but it turns out it was neither of those things. I don’t understand why this is a problem, but I was opening my screenshots in Preview and then copying and pasting it into KM, so instead I tried just dragging and dropping the screenshots from my desktop into KM and it worked fine. I have definitely done in the former way in the past, so there must be something a little buggy about the resolution when opening it with Preview. Thanks again!

I'm in the same boat. The uni where I teach has shifted to the cloud version of its LMS (Blackboard) and it has new icons in its WYSIWYG editor that I can't seem to make work in macros that worked beautifully with the prior version's icons. Really strange.
Here's an example of a new icon, which seems like it would work great because it's so clean, but I can't get KM to see it for anything:Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 5.33.06 PM

My macro worked like a charm with the prior, fuzzy one! image

Any ideas?

To @Steve_Solari's suggestion, I'm good there because my macros for this purpose appear in a palette that only shows up when the relevant window (Chrome window with title containing "Edit Item – ") is in front.

To @peternlewis's suggestion, I've tried and tweaked, tried and tweaked all along the fuzziness slider to no avail.

Thanks much for any assist,
CK

Typically the problem with icons that are plain black & white is that they have minimal difference between them and characters which appear all over the screen. This means lots of the screen looks quite similar to the target image and makes the search much harder, and the results much more likely to contain multiple ambiguous matches.

If you can reduce the search area to an area less than a quarter the size of the desktop, then Keyboard Maestro will expend more effort to try to accurately fine ambiguous images.

Thanks as always for the prompt and helpful reply. I'll try out some options for making the icon/button's location somewhat consistent and report back either way.

Got it working. I didn't end up using the area setting. I made a Preview doc that was entirely black except for that image and then tweaked the Fuzziness slider til it would always work.

I've also just now learned what the X% means when using Display. Cool! But... I then went back to the slider to try to set it to that % but there doesn't appear to be a readout to show me the exact value of the slider setting. Am I missing something?

The slider goes from 0-100, so it matches the percentage shown (it's not really a percentage of anything though, it is sort of an inverse percentage of how much it matches, with 0 being a perfect match and 100+ being anything that is not ever considered a match.

But it is all fuzzy. Mostly the slider excludes matches that are worse than the slider value, so that you can have an appropriate cutoff to get a unique match, or determine what counts as any match.