KM window opens and flashes black and white at random

Hi All,

This behavior just recently began and I can't seem to identify the culprit to find a solution. Briefly, a smaller KM menu pops up and cycles between flashing black and white (seen below).

KM Window Flashing

I'm running KM version 10.2 on my work laptop (2021 16" MacBook Pro with the Apple M1 Pro chip) that's running Monterey version 12.6.6 (which my institution prohibits me from upgrading the macOS). I'm using a dual monitor setup with my MacBook being used as an extended display and the external 27" LG 4K HDR monitor as my main display, which is directly connected to the MacBook's HDMI port. I rarely use use this laptop without it being connected to the external display. I lock my laptop screen at the end of the day.

The only other relevant info. I can provide is that I seem to recall having this KM menu pop-up and receiving some alert about how the KM (engine I presume?) would not function properly until I logged out and logged back in.

I'd be grateful for any tips on how to troubleshoot the source of this behavior.

Thanks!

That looks like a Custom HTML Prompt window -- have a search of your enabled macros, or when it next happens check the Engine.log (available via the Editor's "Help" menu, "Open Logs Folder") for recently executed macros.

@Nige_S Thanks for the troubleshooting tips! When I open Engine.log, the entries span 3 days. Is there a way to increase the range for the purpose of going further back in time for troubleshooting, or is there a different KM utility that is better suited for that?

@Nige_S You helped me find the issue, which is occurring within the Macro Usage Counter 2.3.

The engine log appears to confirm your guess that it looks like a custom HTML prompt window. There also seems to be an issue with the macro's use of Regular Expression, which the macro creator briefly mentions in a comment. For now I'm just going to disable Macro Usage Counter 2.3 until I have more time to troubleshoot.

Here's a small snapshot of the KM Engine Log that shows both issues:

Thanks again for helping me make use of built-in KM troubleshooting features.

If you need macro counts, Macro Reporter Macro reports them:

e18934cf153275fc1492962b04f859711c802315

Thanks, @mrpasini!

This is the Macro Tracker I was using previously, but I'll try out Macro Reporter. Thanks again.

1 Like