When I saw the feature in the release notes, I thought it was a clever idea, but I, too, find myself regularly triggering it accidentally. Since I don't use modifier keys as search terms very often, and since I have text replacements for them anyway, I would be perfectly happy if I could just turn the feature off.
I initially thought the problem might be that I sometimes change my mind right in the middle of executing a keyboard shortcut and then release the command key without having pressed a second key, thereby inserting a command symbol. After a bit of systematic testing, though, it looks like there might be an issue with how the modifier key detection works:
If I, for instance, rapidly press and release ⌘←, the cursor jumps to the beginning of the search field, but KM also erroneously inserts a command symbol into the search field. So maybe implementing a brief blackout period for inserting symbols after pressing a modifier key together with another key would prevent many of the accidental symbol insertions that we are experiencing?
Agree on that it probably be good idea to turn it off , or even replace by context menu. Its current behavior is quite unpredictable as sometimes, it insert the modifier character, and sometime it doesn't. If replace by context menu or menu item, it will be reliable and practical because it can be accessed at any text input component.
I actually built a custom HTML Prompt window for insert modifier key, and can be activated through hot key trigger. If user click outside the window , it will automatically close.
I have created a macro that insert modifier key(s) through prompt list which appear under mouse cursor (position prompt list is KM10 feature). I think this way is more practical as this does not disrupt some user's mode of operation, as this can be called as needed.
Manage to figure out the intermittent issue (eg sometimes the modifier is not insert, or sometimes insert twice) from observation as what happen in my case. What happen is that overtime, KM Editor run slower (more apparent if having large number of macros) , and the search become slow, and that cause the modifier not to be insert, or insert twice when the modifier key is tapped to insert.
I just discovered this feature tonight and I'm seriously disappointed that I didn't know about it months ago. I have text expansion macros such as =shift= for ⇧, which have been working for me, but simple tapping the Shift key is so sweet!,