(KM10) Macros Not Backed Up for Several Weeks

• Sorry that it could be confusing as my language setting is not English. It says that 9999_01_01.plist was modified at 9:05 today (Nov 20) and 9999_01_03.plist was modified at 17:50 the day before yesterday (Nov 18).

I can confirm the issue. I make daily tweaks to my Keyboard Maestro macros and yet the last v10 revision is listed (in the File > Revert Macros menu flout and in ~/Library/Application Support/Keyboard Maestro/Revisions Version 10) as Nov. 2.

That 2021_11_02.plist was modified Nov. 3. I've been modifying my macros daily since then. My .kmsync file is up-to-date with today's revisions but I can't revert to yesterday's revisions or anything more current than Nov. 2.

Fortunately I never have to revisit the past as all my edits are improvements :grin: but it looks like an unresolved issue.

Thanks again @peternlewis for detailed description. I’ve understood how daily backups work.

I had been pretty eager to improve my macros and edited them nearly everyday after I updated KM to ver 10.

Based on above, what's happening here could be something like below.

• KM stopped daily backup after being updated to ver 10 (on Nov 6).
  • KM somehow backed up macros just once maybe when updated to 10.0.1, and the file is 2021_11_06.plist (on Nov 16).
  • But usual daily backups haven't been made since Nov 6 in spite of many changes on macros (until Nov 20, today).

That is peculiar...

Here's mine:

I seem to remember some while back that someone had a permissions problem after upgrading the macOS that was interfering with his backups.

-Chris

That's weird... I just checked and KM hasn't made revisions since 10.0.1 was installed(5 days ago). I know I've made many macros since then. I'll have to explore more options from my end.

@ewos -

I ran into the same issue. I referred to one of Peter's posts and now my backup, from yesterday, showed up. I'm thinking this may be what @ccstone was referencing.

Here is his post from over two years ago:

I hope this helps.

KC

2 Likes

Interesting. I checked permissions the old fashioned way and they were legit but since it's Sunday, I gave this a try, too. After a change to one of my macros, the Revisions Version 10 folder was created with this in it:

ss-1

I would expect to see 2021_11_21.plist there instead. Those same files are in my original v10 folder but 9999_01_01.plist is dated today (I've been editing a few macros today).

So it looks like 9999_01_01 isn't getting renamed to the current date when appropriate.

P.S. Good tip about compressing the whole folder as a backup, BTW.

I believe that's a euphemism for At Editor Launch.

I think this next file got written when I started working in Keyboard Maestro today, but I'm not certain of the time.

Name                 :  2021_11_20.plist
Creation Date        :  2021/11/21 14:14:11
Modification Date    :  2021/11/21 14:14:11
Date Added           :  2021/11/21 14:14:11

So – despite the dates – this should be yesterday's revisions.

-Chris

That seems reasonable.

Just to clarify what remains puzzling to me, despite daily edits this month, I have no v10 revision after Nov. 2:

ss-213

Right. Hopefully after your tinkering today revisions will resume correctly.

Quit and restart the Keyboard Maestro Editor tomorrow and then take a look.

If no joy then ask Peter for support.

-Chris

Thanks a lot @kcwhat, and @ccstone.

That's something I had been looking for in this forum and couldn't find by myself.

So, I gave it a try hoping it works… and failed.

Firstly, I carefully read and did what Peter had described (I think I did, and twice to make sure) and couldn’t find the new daily backup. I waited a night, made another change to a macro (to make sure) and checked the “Revert Macros” menu as well as KM folder in Application Support, and still my latest daily backup is 2021_11_06.plist modified on Nov 16.

Then, I also checked and set permissions on Finder maybe like @mrpasini did (to the KM folder itself and all of the subfolders/items as well), ran First Aid, and still can’t make it work so far.

Did you try following the instructions @kcwhat linked to?

(KM10) Macros Not Backed Up for Several Weeks - #13 by kcwhat

Yes, I did. That is the instruction I followed (Sorry for my poor English).

No worries. We have a lot of nonnative language users on the forum.

If you followed Peter's protocol then you should no longer have a 2021_11_06.plist file in your Keyboard Maestro support folder.

You should be starting fresh and have a complete backup of your original.

Thank you, @ccstone.

OK, now I think I know what to do. I’ll start over with fresh KM folder. It must work.

You can add back this file:

~/Library/Application Support/Keyboard Maestro/Keyboard Maestro Macros.plist

But leave the others out – at least for testing.

OK, thanks!

If the Editor.log says:

Loading made changes, initiating immediate save

when launched, then that also stops the revision from being created.

If found a case where that issue was not being resolved if the saved Favorite actions were missing action UIDs, and so if that was the case, then the revision would never be saved on launch.

It should still be saved on the first time you make a change on any day though, but that would only happen if you left the editor running over night, which is generally not good practice, since you should just launch the editor when needed and quit it when done.

So if you both don’t leave the editor running (sensible) and have the issue when the editor is doing “Loading made changes, initiating immediate save” every time it launches, then you would never get any revisions saved.

This is resolved for the next version, and hopefully this accounts for the cases seen here.

3 Likes

Yes, that explains my situation. Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks @ccstone @peternlewis,

I refreshed KM folder yesterday, and found no daily backup today.

I checked the Editor.log and my situation seems to be the same as Peter described as well as @mrpasini.

I’ll wait for the next version. Thanks again, Peter.

2 Likes