(KM10) Macros Not Backed Up for Several Weeks

Hi,

I noticed that my macros haven’t been backed up for a week or two.

The newest revision in my “Revert Macros” menu is November 6, 2021 except “At Editor Launch” and “Before Last Sync”, and it’s November 19 today.

I think November 6 could be the day I updated KM to version 10.

When I look into my Library/Application Support/Keyboard Maestro/Revisions Version 10/, I find 2021_11_06.plist although strangely (?) the file is updated a few hours ago the file is updated on Nov 16.

I also have daily backups from 2021_10_29 to 2021_11_05 in that folder and they seem to be made (updated) on the days the file names show.

How can I fix this? My macOS version is 10.14.6 Mojave.

Hey @ewos,

Quit and restart the Keyboard Maestro Editor and the Keyboard Maestro Engine.

You might as well reboot too if you haven't already.

-Chris

Thanks @ccstone,

But it seems it didn’t solve the issue.

I think I’ve done that many times in this period as I usually shut down my mac every day.

I’ve just made another try, and it hasn’t changed the situation.

@peternlewis?

Have you made changes to your macros?

Keyboard Maestro will only save revisions when it saves your macros, so unless you make a change to the macros it will not save any revision for that day.

If you make any change to your macros, then you should get a new revision. Basically, the first time you save the macros on a new day, a revision will be made for the previously changed date.

So that would seem to indicate that Nov 6 you changed your macros, and then today you made a change - the Nov 6 macros were saved to that revision.

Thanks @peternlewis,

Yes, I have. I’ve made a lot of changes to my macros these days after updating to KM 10. That’s why I noticed that something is wrong with my daily backups.

My last change on yesterday (Nov 19) was around 6 pm, but my latest revision file is still 2021_11_06.plist which is modified at 11:54 Nov 16.

• Sorry that I wrote 2021_11_06.plist was updated yesterday (a few hours ago, I described) before, but it was wrong. The modification date of the file has been 11:54 Nov 16. I misread 16 to 19.

• Sorry that it could be confusing as my language setting is not English. It says that 9999_01_01.plist was modified at 9:05 today (Nov 20) and 9999_01_03.plist was modified at 17:50 the day before yesterday (Nov 18).

I can confirm the issue. I make daily tweaks to my Keyboard Maestro macros and yet the last v10 revision is listed (in the File > Revert Macros menu flout and in ~/Library/Application Support/Keyboard Maestro/Revisions Version 10) as Nov. 2.

That 2021_11_02.plist was modified Nov. 3. I've been modifying my macros daily since then. My .kmsync file is up-to-date with today's revisions but I can't revert to yesterday's revisions or anything more current than Nov. 2.

Fortunately I never have to revisit the past as all my edits are improvements :grin: but it looks like an unresolved issue.

Thanks again @peternlewis for detailed description. I’ve understood how daily backups work.

I had been pretty eager to improve my macros and edited them nearly everyday after I updated KM to ver 10.

Based on above, what's happening here could be something like below.

• KM stopped daily backup after being updated to ver 10 (on Nov 6).
  • KM somehow backed up macros just once maybe when updated to 10.0.1, and the file is 2021_11_06.plist (on Nov 16).
  • But usual daily backups haven't been made since Nov 6 in spite of many changes on macros (until Nov 20, today).

That is peculiar...

Here's mine:

I seem to remember some while back that someone had a permissions problem after upgrading the macOS that was interfering with his backups.

-Chris

That's weird... I just checked and KM hasn't made revisions since 10.0.1 was installed(5 days ago). I know I've made many macros since then. I'll have to explore more options from my end.

@ewos -

I ran into the same issue. I referred to one of Peter's posts and now my backup, from yesterday, showed up. I'm thinking this may be what @ccstone was referencing.

Here is his post from over two years ago:

I hope this helps.

KC

2 Likes

Interesting. I checked permissions the old fashioned way and they were legit but since it's Sunday, I gave this a try, too. After a change to one of my macros, the Revisions Version 10 folder was created with this in it:

ss-1

I would expect to see 2021_11_21.plist there instead. Those same files are in my original v10 folder but 9999_01_01.plist is dated today (I've been editing a few macros today).

So it looks like 9999_01_01 isn't getting renamed to the current date when appropriate.

P.S. Good tip about compressing the whole folder as a backup, BTW.

I believe that's a euphemism for At Editor Launch.

I think this next file got written when I started working in Keyboard Maestro today, but I'm not certain of the time.

Name                 :  2021_11_20.plist
Creation Date        :  2021/11/21 14:14:11
Modification Date    :  2021/11/21 14:14:11
Date Added           :  2021/11/21 14:14:11

So – despite the dates – this should be yesterday's revisions.

-Chris

That seems reasonable.

Just to clarify what remains puzzling to me, despite daily edits this month, I have no v10 revision after Nov. 2:

ss-213

Right. Hopefully after your tinkering today revisions will resume correctly.

Quit and restart the Keyboard Maestro Editor tomorrow and then take a look.

If no joy then ask Peter for support.

-Chris

Thanks a lot @kcwhat, and @ccstone.

That's something I had been looking for in this forum and couldn't find by myself.

So, I gave it a try hoping it works… and failed.

Firstly, I carefully read and did what Peter had described (I think I did, and twice to make sure) and couldn’t find the new daily backup. I waited a night, made another change to a macro (to make sure) and checked the “Revert Macros” menu as well as KM folder in Application Support, and still my latest daily backup is 2021_11_06.plist modified on Nov 16.

Then, I also checked and set permissions on Finder maybe like @mrpasini did (to the KM folder itself and all of the subfolders/items as well), ran First Aid, and still can’t make it work so far.

Did you try following the instructions @kcwhat linked to?

(KM10) Macros Not Backed Up for Several Weeks - #13 by kcwhat

Yes, I did. That is the instruction I followed (Sorry for my poor English).

No worries. We have a lot of nonnative language users on the forum.

If you followed Peter's protocol then you should no longer have a 2021_11_06.plist file in your Keyboard Maestro support folder.

You should be starting fresh and have a complete backup of your original.