(KM10) Macros Not Backed Up for Several Weeks

Thank you, @ccstone.

OK, now I think I know what to do. I’ll start over with fresh KM folder. It must work.

You can add back this file:

~/Library/Application Support/Keyboard Maestro/Keyboard Maestro Macros.plist

But leave the others out – at least for testing.

OK, thanks!

If the Editor.log says:

Loading made changes, initiating immediate save

when launched, then that also stops the revision from being created.

If found a case where that issue was not being resolved if the saved Favorite actions were missing action UIDs, and so if that was the case, then the revision would never be saved on launch.

It should still be saved on the first time you make a change on any day though, but that would only happen if you left the editor running over night, which is generally not good practice, since you should just launch the editor when needed and quit it when done.

So if you both don’t leave the editor running (sensible) and have the issue when the editor is doing “Loading made changes, initiating immediate save” every time it launches, then you would never get any revisions saved.

This is resolved for the next version, and hopefully this accounts for the cases seen here.

3 Likes

Yes, that explains my situation. Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks @ccstone @peternlewis,

I refreshed KM folder yesterday, and found no daily backup today.

I checked the Editor.log and my situation seems to be the same as Peter described as well as @mrpasini.

I’ll wait for the next version. Thanks again, Peter.

2 Likes

Sadly, same results here. Peter will come through.

By the way, I would like if KM had a function that I can take snapshots of all macros by selecting a menu (like up to 10 times) apart from the daily backups. When I edit my macros, I sometimes find myself messing around and I feel like going back an hour or so.

I know that "At Editor Launch" is usually sufficient and I replicate some macros as a backup when I make big changes. But my macros have become in interaction with one another and their relationships are complicated now. So I would feel more secure if I had that kind of function and was able to go back the macro history more freely.

Or does it work fine to take backups of Keyboard Maestro Macros.plist in Application Support and overwrite the newer plist with the one backed up when I start over?

(Or am I just missing the function?)

Well, you could just use Mirror Mirror to copy your Application Support plist file of choice to any other location whenever the mood strikes you to edit your stable version. And, yes, the same macro can restore the plist if things go awry.

It's a sort of manual snapshot, you could say. I do it about two dozen times a day with various important files I'm working on.

1 Like

Oh no, I forgot that we’ve got macros!

I’ll give that one a try.

Thanks for letting me know and making that macro!

(Although I hope we'll get this feature in KM itself some day.)

Yes. But ensure that the editor and engine are not running when you do that (or you can, technically, replace the file and then ask the editor and engine to reload it using AppleScript).

Thanks @peternlewis,

I’ll be careful when I bring back the manually duplicated plist.

And I found the daily backup issue is solved with KM 10.0.2. here.
I also had an issue that I couldn’t delete the favorite actions I had saved, but it went away, too (they must have missed UIDs as you wrote above).

Thanks again