Logic Pro - Macro Megathread (2022)

I think I understand :+1:t3:

Have you tried the patch macro? From your description, it sounds ideal. If not, we can look at importing tracks.

Id love to check it out but I cant seem to find it... would you mind directing me to it?

Is there a way to hotkey trigger a cmd + click, while the assigned hotkey is being pressed down? I want it to switch to the cmd tool, then paint a note, then length adjust it, then release the key to complete the action. I managed something similar in BTT, but with the disadvantage, that it does not let me hold down the cmd+ click action, which means that i can only paint default values at the mouse position...

It's under Plugin Drill at the very top.

So you want to draw a note with a specific length by clicking while holding a modifier? Is that right? If so, what length and what steps would you use to achieve this if doing it manually?

1 Like

I would like to execute a cmd click hold with a hotkey until I release the key. A left click hold with the same procedure would also be very nice!

The reason is that I hate clicking on the trackpad and that way could outsource everything to keys other than moving the cursor.

You want to hold a key and press another key in order to draw a note of a specified length into the piano roll? Is that right?

This can't be done the way you expect, as simulated mouse actions will be interrupted by any real world hardware input. Therefore, unless you can find a way to do what you want to do with the keyboard alone, you're out of luck.

Thank you for taking a look at my issue, Neil! I try to describe my problem as detailed as possible:

I want to press and hold a hotkey down, which should trigger a CMD + Left Click (both being hold down as long as the hotkey is down) and i want these to be released, when I release the hotkey.

What this should accomplish:
Pressing the hotkey while moving the mouse cursor, so i can easily midi draw notes here and there (when the pencil tool in the piano roll is the cmd tool) and easily make marquee selections (when the marquee tool is the cmd tool in the arranger).

I managed to do that in BTT with any hotkey i want, except the fn key (which unfortunately is exactly the hotkey that i want this behavior to be assigned to haha), so i am trying it in KM.

Do you know if this is possible with KM, or perhaps know, why BTT is a bit dumb regarding the fn key (in KM i can easily select the fn key as a device key trigger)?

As soon as you move the mouse, any simulated mouse actions will be interrupted, so this is not possible.

I don't use BTT. @Frankb might know..?

1 Like

Ahh, that's too bad, but thanks for clarifying! I have it assigned to another key atm, but if I could get it to work with the fn key, it would be much better for my workflow!

And somehow BTT can utilize these functions without interrupting the cursor behavior of the trackpad, so for me BTT + KM + CursorSense seems to be the way to go for me now.

And just another quick question, is it possible to program a macro, that brings an already open window of a specific application (Sample Manager) to the front, and when pressed again, brings back the main logic window to the front (with key focus)?

Edit: I managed to do the macro myself! Thank you anyways!

1 Like

Thanks so much for sharing these!

I'm trying out "Delete Unused Audio Files" and we must have different key commands within Logic but I'm not sure what yours are so I can't switch them to reflect my own -- can you explain what the key commands are supposed to be doing? Or, is there something I'm missing where you may have already done that? (I'm new to KM so if I'm not sure if there's a way to view any notes you may have added, etc.)

@humanosaur

I've adjusted the macro in the original post, but here's a direct link. Does that work any better for you?

@noisneil Yeah, that got it working - thanks!

1 Like

Is this interesting? I've been modifying the Plugin Switcher macro so instead it sends a MIDI CC note which trigger a Mode Change in the controller assignments window. Each mode has assignments for a different plug-in.

The idea is that one MIDI controller will automatically change its mapping for whatever plugin is open.

I think the main reason for the Switcher failing is that some plug-ins open with their title off-screen. Do you have this problem? Or a workaround?

Yeah! Sounds like a great idea if you like using a controller with lots of knobs! :+1:t3:

Unfortunately the only way I know to identify the plugin is by OCR of its name at the bottom of the window, so if it's not visible, that's going to be an issue isn't it.

Maybe it would be easier to set parameter assignments within the plugins themselves (Right-Click → Learn) and save them as defaults? Of course, that means it wouldn't work with any projects from before you saved your defaults.

But instead a way to manipulate how plug-in windows show up. KM doesn't seem to be able to move them. Or could one move and reposition them once in a template?

Do you mean to use plug-in manufacturers own MIDI assignments function? Most of the plug-ins I have that offer that are Software Instruments. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

I think Logic made the plugin windows "unseeable" by KM in v10.7.x by changing their window designation. I can't remember what to, but yeah they a bit trickier to interact with now.

I might be wrong about being able to save learned assignments per plugin. I'll have to have a look later.

Hello. Thank you for the work you are doing to improve the lives of Logic Pro X users. I purchased Keyboard Maestro to do channel-by-channel export from Logic. I have tried different scripts from this thread. And they don't work for me. But the scripts that I make myself using the record function do work. Could you please help me? I'm looking for a script that would export each track in turn, passing it through the master processing and all the groups through which it passes. That is, it would solo the track and take the sound from the master. And then name the resulting files according to the name of the tracks. Thanks for your help)

Have you tried this macro?

If you have, and it doesn't work for you, can you tell me what problems you've come up against?