MACRO: Fix "Create New Folder" for multi-folder creation in Column view

In Finder, I use column view 99% of the time. One thing that really annoys me, though, is when I need to create a number of new folders within a given folder. It should be simple: Press Shift-Command-N however many times you need to to get the job done. And in icon view windows, that works:

As it does in list view windows:

But try it in a column view window, and you wind up at the bottom of the hierarchy:

I got tired of this, so I "fixed" it using Keyboard Maestro. The attached macro replaces Shift-Command-N so that it either does nothing and lets the OS create the new folder (in icon and list view), or does what it should always have done (in column view):

In column view mode, the macro takes over. It creates the new folder, allows you to rename it, then backs up the hierarchy one level (after you press Return to set the folder name) so that you're ready to create another new folder in the same location. It also (optionally) tags the folder as seen above, so that if you're doing this in the midst of bunch of other files and folders, it's easy to spot the new folders.

Download Macro(s): Fix File → New Folder in column view.kmmacros (10 KB)

Macro screenshot

Macro notes
  • Macros are always disabled when imported into the Keyboard Maestro Editor.
    • The user must ensure the macro is enabled.
    • The user must also ensure the macro's parent macro-group is enabled.
System information
  • macOS 14.4.1
  • Keyboard Maestro v11.0.2

This may not be for everyone, but I create multiple folders relatively often and use column view almost exclusively. Not having to manually "drill up" one level after every new folder command is a nice timesaver.

-rob.

1 Like