MACRO: Make Macro Alias

Right - as @DanThomas points out, Keyboard Maestro refers to the macros by UUID. Keyboard Maestro doesn’t care what you name your macros, you can name them all "A" if you want. You’ll get confused, but Keyboard Maestro wont.

Suh-Weet! Dan. By the way, what did you use to create the GIF of the movie? This is an excellent way to demonstrate "HowTOs". I may have to steal it! Heh!

All of us JM. I can't keep up with his 'production'.[quote="NaOH, post:3, topic:4139"]
I just Option-Drag
[/quote]
True. However, you can't dispute the artful beauty and craftiness of Dan's example. It's like robotics where the robot builds itself.

...and since you pointed out that the UUID is no longer unique when calling from AppleScript, this might actually present an occasional issue which this avoids.

+1 :thumbsup:
p.s. I am really starting to dig Discourse a lot!

Yet another roadsign telling me I really need to start learning JavaScript/JXA.[quote="DanThomas, post:16, topic:4139"]
that's in JXA. I already know how to do that. Let's continue this in the other topic.
[/quote]
Linkage please!

Ah! Handy information.

I don't know what Dan used to create the animated GIF, but here is a decent, free, tool that I often use:

http://www.cockos.com/licecap/

Thanks JM! I'll check it out.

I've begun posting my JXA stuff here:

Thanks Dan!

I need to find some good sites on getting started with JavaScript/JXA. I am assuming that JXA is Apple’s implementation of JavaScript in MacOS. Are there any differences or is JavaScript pretty much the same when using JXA?

That would be wonderful Peter I am all for it!

Just noticed this nice macro from Dan!
Is there any development going? Dan or Peter (integrate it in KM)?

It would be great to see if this macro could also:

• ask where to place aliases
  • rename it to the name of the original macro
  • work with multiple selection

Yes, it is on the todo list. It might make it in to 8.0, or not. @DanThomas is really good at extending Keyboard Maestro - I'm not sure I'll be able to implement everything he's done, and that's probably just fine.

Yes, there is plenty of development going on, but since I am now hard at work on 8.0 it will be some time before it sees the light of day. I drop teasers on Twitter sometimes, and might here as well occasionally.

I may do things differently, maybe I will do something like allow a macro to be dragged in to an action list.

In the mean time, enjoy all of Dan’s hard work!

3 Likes

Thanks!

For now, I’m busy setting up a wood workshop in my garage, so don’t expect anything from me here, for awhile at least.

1 Like

Thanks a lot!
Continue enjoying! :slight_smile:

Take your time. Wood will rot, but KM will stay for a while. :grinning:

3 Likes

I'm in the same boat and have been doing this the long way for a while. Too bad I missed this one until just recently. Thanks Dan your Jedi tricks are amazing, this just saved me a lot of time creating links to several macros for the Shuttle Pro 2 macros.

I added an "edit button" to the alias in the form of an Applescript that you can Try to edit the original macro

Make Macro Alias.kmmacros (35.1 KB)

**note I made the set mmaMacro action purple to indicate where I made my change, and I altered the original

This is done for 8.0.

6 Likes

@DanThomas and all:

As always Dan, you have published another great macro, and I have used it a number of times to create "aliases" in another Macro Group that I use as a palette.

Here is an alternate approach that allows you to use the same Macro Group as you normally do, always Active and all Macros in it always available, AND show the macros in that Group in a palette. No aliases or copies required.

See the macro I just published:

MACRO: Palette Show/Hide Palette for FrontMost App

Amazing. This is why you're my favorite person.

P.S. - any chance I can get on the beta release channel? :grin:

Version 8.0 is long since released.

You can email support if you are interested in getting beta releases.

I’m hoping there is a chance we can get linked/aliased macro actions in a future KM release. When one copy is altered, they all reflect the changes because they are dynamic aliases of the same action.

Use a sub-macro for that, and then Execute Macro to execute them as subroutines.