MACRO: Palette Organizer v1.3 (updated Dec 3, 2021)

I don't expect you to.

After I wrote my note above, I found David Thorpe's comment from July 2020 about the sort order of alphabetically named macros. I particularly appreciated his comment about getting up to

That's what the extra names mean to me, ways to group macros rather than simply order them.

Unfortunately, he also discovered that

which messes up my "intuitive" notions of grouping.

There are many more ideas in this thread than I found in my first skim!

Thanks.

Mine too! :smile:

Hi @DanThomas, I encountered 2 problems with the Palette Organizer when I upgraded to macOS Monterey and KM version 10.

After upgrading to KM 10, the numerical mapping works, but when I set a separator, the separator is not displayed next to an error message.

Here a Video

After the upgrade to macOS Monterey and still under KM 9.x the separators were extended independently in all macro palettes.

Still under macOS Big Sur they were aligned to the length of the macros.

I don't know if this behavior is unique to me. Can you reproduce this on your Mac?

1 Like

As far as the separators are concerned, something changed in Monterey so the separator characters aren't the same size as they used to be. So you'll just need to shorten them by hand.

As for the error message, everything still works, right? If so, for now just ignore the error.

2 Likes

Hey @DanThomas and @appleianer, I can confirm that on Big Sur the separators cause an error message and they are not inserted. Everything else, including the numbering works properly. But the separators are not inserted. So I have been having to copy and paste "separator macros" and numbering them manually for the time being.

Below is my system info (it occurs on my iMac too, also running Big Sur).

Model Name                   :  MacBook Air
Model Identifier             :  MacBookAir10,1
Total Number of Cores        :  8 (4 performance and 4 efficiency)
Memory                       :  16 GB
System Firmware Version      :  7429.41.5
OS Loader Version            :  6723.140.2
Chipset Model                :  Apple M1
Total Number of Cores        :  7
System Version               :  macOS 11.6.1 (20G224)
Kernel Version               :  Darwin 20.6.0
System Integrity Protection  :  Enabled
Time since boot              :  4 days 2:54

EDITED TO INCLUDE ERROR MESSAGE AND IMAC INFO

I get the same error as you on my MacBook. ↑

On my iMac I get the following error ↓

/var/folders/39/3230gggn6y3bxl038l0yv_xh0000gn/T/Keyboard-Maestro-Script-107EEDEA-86A6-4621-B2BE-9E34F9D77F07:

The UUID is different each time of course, for each separator.

iMac info:

Model Name                   :  iMac
Model Identifier             :  iMac19,1
Processor Name               :  6-Core Intel Core i5
Processor Speed              :  3 GHz
Number of Processors         :  1
Total Number of Cores        :  6
Memory                       :  40 GB
System Firmware Version      :  1715.40.15.0.0
SMC Version (system)         :  2.46f12
Chipset Model                :  Radeon Pro 570X
VRAM (Total)                 :  4 GB
VBIOS Version                :  113-D0008A14GL-003
EFI Driver Version           :  01.B1.042
System Version               :  macOS 11.6.1 (20G224)
Kernel Version               :  Darwin 20.6.0
System Integrity Protection  :  Enabled
Time since boot              :  14:29
2 Likes

Same here, separators are not inserted, here is the error message. Operating system is Big Sur, Intel MacBook Pro 16 from 2019.

1 Like

Look at this image:

1. Add the action the green arrow points to.
  2. Disable the action the red arrow points to.

I believe this will solve the problem. Please let me know.

3 Likes

Hey Dan, that works on my iMac. I'll test it in just a bit on my MacBook in just a few and report back.

UPDATE: That solves the problem on my MacBook as well. Thanks so much Dan!

Thanks. I had to laugh - I didn't even know this menu item existed! Way easier than resorting to AppleScript. :joy:

1 Like

Hi Dan,
I'm not quite following the recent conversation.
Pardon me for the question: Do you want all of us to do the same?

I imagine you would need to do this if you run into the errors we experienced upon upgrading to Keyboard Maestro 10. The AppleScript stopped working, but can be fixed by using the menu action Dan mentioned.

Otherwise if the macro is running fine I'd leave it alone.

1 Like

Great. Thanks!
I have not used it since upgrading to v10 except to call up the reordering window. I have made the same change.

1 Like

@DanThomas also with me the change (green arrow) has helped and it is carried out correctly again.

Could you please tell me where in the macro I can make the setting to the length of the dividing line?

See:

Otherwise, I believe you will need to edit the HTML file.

There is no setting. It's based on the longest macro name in the list. But you can change the divider text to anything you want. When you add a divider to the list, the first character in the divider string is saved, and used the next time you run the dialog.

@DanThomas just that doesn't seem to work under macOS Monterey anymore. Here is an example with very short macro names:

2021_11_03_Support_1

After upgrading to macOS Monterey and launching KM for the first time, all my palettes had overlong separators.

2021-11-03_21-59-35

I have this behavior only under macOS Monterey. Must then be a bug in macOS.

Use a different character for the separator. For some reason, these characters are wider, under Monterey. I don't have Monterey, so I can't test it.

1 Like

Yours actually looks nicer.
On my end, the dashes overlap, creating dots that are visible to human eyes.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try.

1 Like

An easy way is to do a search & replace in the Keyboard Maestro Macros.plist file. I think it should be safe to replace only the dashes string, since they are unique. However, make sure you have a backup before doing that.

1 Like