Macro to Check if Item Added to a Folder Is a Folder, and Then Pass the Name of That Folder to a Script

Hi all - when I get a new client lead in my CRM, Zapier triggers an action to create a new folder in my work dropbox in the name of the client that stores all files related to that client, in a folder called 'Leads'

When I confirm that client is now a paying client, zapier creates a new folder in a different folder called 'Clients', again, in the name of the client.

Some clients are onboarded so fast that we never get to creating a record for them in the CRM before they become clients, so this folder creation is useful.

But for clients who already had a folder with relevant files in it, it's a duplication.

What I'd like to do is have KM monitor the Clients folder, and whenever a new folder is created, it checks that there isn't a folder with the same name already in the Leads folder, and if there is, move it the Clients folder, replacing the existing folder that's just been created by Zapier.

I have used an applescript in Hazel to do this, triggered if Hazel had itself first confirmed that the item added to a folder was a folder, as opposed to a file, but I'm struggling to see how I can replicate this in KM!

Hey @Dave_Boyle,

Welcome to the Keyboard Maestro Forum!  :smile:

Personally I think if you're already using Hazel for this you should stick with it. Hazel is purpose-built for that sort of thing and is therefore superior to Keyboard Maestro in performing those kinds of tasks.

That said – you should be able to make Keyboard Maestro do the job if you're willing to work at it.

-Chris

Folder Watcher.kmmacros (1.5 KB)

Can't you use the same AppleScript in KM?

If you want to know if the item added to a folder is a folder, you can use the Get File Attribute action (which also works with folders) and get the "file type" attribute.
If the item is a folder, this will return "directory".

you can pass the KM Variable "Local__ItemPathFromFolderTrigger" to your AppleScript using this:

### Requires Keyboard Maestro 8.0.3+ ###
set kmInst to system attribute "KMINSTANCE"
tell application "Keyboard Maestro Engine"
	set folderAddedPath to getvariable "Local__ItemPathFromFolderTrigger" instance kmInst
end tell

Questions?