Maestro, Stream Deck and BTT?

Okay, I apologize like heck for presenting a question without doing all of the research..but time is short and you folk are great.

I'm thinking of ditching the Elgato software for my Stream Deck and use Better Touch Tool instead. It all looks promising.

My question is: will I still be able to use Maestro to control the deck as well?

Thanks very much!

Hmmm... prepare for a useless comment... :sweat_smile: While I am a die hard Stream Deck advocate, I have not, and probably will never use the BTT software to control it. Mostly because BTT is too glitchy for me. I’m not sure if @noisneil has experience with the BTT software since he’s quite the SD guru.

1 Like

I haven't tried BTT since they added the SD control updates, so I don't know I'm afraid. I've seen at least one other thread on the subject though.

I used StreamDeck with BTT

With AppleScript in Keyboard Maestro I was able to trigger BTT actions that would change the groups/profiles displayed on the StreamDeck (I think I posted this in the BTT forum). If that's your question then yes. I also linked StreamDeck buttons back to KM through AppleScript actions in BTT, although I found it slightly tedious

Not relevant, but in the last week I've trialled uninstalling BTT and leaving the StreamDeck in the cupboard to see if I can get by using just KM Palettes.

Ain’t that the truth! My BTT editor just pops up anytime. In addition to the BTT forum, I contacted the developer in February, June and August - no response. Nifty application but I won’t add any additional resources to it.

KC

I have that same issue, as well as the software just completely stopping, but with no apparent crash, error message/notification or anything. I find out when my trackpad gestures stop working, and I see BTT is no longer running. :man_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

If only Elgato would add external profile triggering...

I've given up hoping they'll ever acknowledge this huge oversight.

1 Like

BTT is like the engine of an old car. If you know where to "knock", you can get almost anything running. But it's really tedious sometimes.

This should only happen when this window is open (in the background). Does it pop open for too if you closed it before?

This is a science in itself. :woozy_face: It happens mainly when the mac wakes up. It is not a crash, but a temporary "paralysis". The easiest solution is to change the front app and go back. Alternatively you can set "restart BTT after sleep".

2 Likes

I never have the window open so it just opens itself whenever it feels like it.

In my case, it either crashes or just quits all on it’s own, because when I look in activity monitor (or for the menu bar icon), it’s not running at all. But I have a button on my SD that runs an AppleScript to restart BTT for these cases.

Mm, which version are you using?

Exactly. I had to use a terminal command for it to stop. The consequence is the only way to open it is via the menu bar. You can’t open it via the Applications folder, Spotlight, Alfred or AppleScript. It’s unacceptable and there is no support. Therefore, I no longer suggest it to people and I’m slowly repurposing older gestures to Keyboard Maestro.

Every version, from January 2023 to present, on my Mac Studio (Ventura and Sonoma).

@kcwhat I see... BTT is exactly one person, so is KM. The difference is that in the KM forum a lot of really experienced and friendly users help everyone else. In the BTT forum this is not the case. I claim this is a "generational problem", is that how you say it?

It's certainly not my job to defend the BTT developer, but what would the KM forum be if you had to rely only on the developer?

Thanks gang. My take-away is "go slow and be ready to roll back". Fair enough.

My experience with BTT is somewhat different from that of many of you. It's been pretty solid for me, and Andreas has been responsive the time or two that I had an issue.

I did have that exact seem issue with the BTT window spontaneously appearing. I fixed it, but I can't for the life of me remember how.

@Frankb -

I get it. I’ve been using BTT for close to a decade. So, I, normally, would defend BTT more than you. However, in all my years, only Adobe, has never answered my support emails. Peter responds very quickly. I don’t ever think it’s taken him longer than a day (I sure hope he takes a vacation). However, I’ve formally sent Andreas an email few times on this issue. Not a peep. That’s unacceptable. Seems he updates the BTT, every two weeks or so.

All I’m saying is that it’s glitchy software. When it works, it’s great and it still works. My only issue what I’ve reported and his lack of response. I mean several emails since February?? 7 months?

That’s not cool. Also, last I checked, my forum ask was unanswered as well. However, I have no expectation of help there.

KC

And I didn't contradict you. There would be a lot to say about the developers, but that wouldn't do anyone any good.

Then you are one of the lucky guys :slightly_smiling_face:

You might be better off to post your problems and questions on https://community.folivora.ai and not by email. I've found Andreas to be very reactive and helpful there (but I might just have been lucky so far).

I posted, on the BTT forum, first (February 2023). As you can read, from my comment above, that went unanswered as well. I try not to disturb the developers unless it's necessary. However, 3 emails later, nothing. It's ok. I love BTT but I no longer can expect support. I'm patient, but everyone has a point of oh well. I reached it. I like Andreas and he used to be helpful but maybe SetApp and popularity is a bit much. That's great for him! I use a work around but it's not the way the application is intended to function. But like I said, it's ok - I'll manage. Heck, my emails may be in his junk folder.

@KeMa - If you can do me a solid and send him and email, I'd greatly appreciate it! :slight_smile:

KC

Better yet: Give us a link to your BTT forum post and we can comment on it and thus upvote it there. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Sure thing. Thanks for helping.

KC