Menu Item Disabled Alert

Hi, i'm trying to use a macro to remove a song from a playlist in itunes. It uses a menu action. It works most of the time, but every once in a while it fails and i get this message:

I don't understand why, because "remove from playlist" is indeed available (as you can see). Anybody know why this is happening?

I recently encounter this problem with “select menu item” as well. It happen in Firefox with “open all tabs” in bookmark menu. Some folder work without problem some do.

1 Like

Hey @danklim,

Menu items are flakey on occasion.

This is not too surprising when the menu has dynamic content that changes when the menu loads.

That can be dealt with by opening the menu before selecting the menu-item. (Leave the menu-item blank in a Select or Show a Menu Item action.)

You might try this tactic in your macro, and see if it fixed the problem.

When flakiness occurs without a dynamic-content cause I think something is buggy in the app.

-Chris

2 Likes

This tip should be sticked at the top

you probably know but just in case: if the menu item dynamically changes (sometimes show sidebar, sometimes hid sidebar), you can write in the menu
Show Sidebar|Hide Sidebar (note the pipe sign) in the select or show a menu item

ahhh, pipe! awesome! great tip @Ronald

Some apps like Scrivener which you are using have a lot of dynamic items (show hide binder) and I use the pipe sign in many of my macros

1 Like