Microsoft Excel Select Format⇢Cells... [Protection] Button

Hello,

When in Excel, I am looking to select the "Protection" button within the Format Cells menu item.

I am able to open Format Cells using the Menu action. It's selecting "Protection" that is hanging me up.

Any ideas? Either with an action or AppleScript.

Protection Selection.kmactions (1.2 KB)

Screenshot 2023-05-04 at 6.06.16 PM

Not at my Mac but I would think you could touch it w/ UI scripting through AppleScript.

If someone doesn’t come along first I will look with UI Browser when I get Home.

Oh that's a nifty app. Never tried that before. It is saying it is a radio button if I am reading correctly, not really sure what I am doing since I just download UI Browser just now. I will keep playing while waiting for you or anyone's suggestions. Thank you for the reply!

This works for me with Microsoft Excel 16.16.27 on macOS 10.14.6 Mojave.

Download: Open Protection Panel in Format Cells v1.00.kmmacros (6.6 KB)

Macro-Image

Keyboard Maestro Export

Macro-Notes
  • Macros are always disabled when imported into the Keyboard Maestro Editor.
    • The user must ensure the macro is enabled.
    • The user must also ensure the macro's parent macro-group is enabled.

System Information
  • macOS 10.14.6
  • Keyboard Maestro v10.2

1 Like

Hi Chris,

You always come through with the solution. It works, thank you.

I think the pause is where I was tripping up.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Yes it is. I believe @ccstone introduced me to it and sometimes it really saves the day.

It's a shame, looks like the creator is putting an end to the program's future.

I'm disappointed that Bill Cheeseman didn't sell UI Browser or put it in the public domain, but he's 80 this year – and it was time to let it go.

Mark Alldritt is maintaining UI Browser for existing customers for the foreseeable future, so it's not going away (and the demo still works).

I was so relieved to see that news recently.

1 Like

Depending upon what the goal is, a macro like has been shown may not be necessary. Excel offers excellent support for keyboard shortcuts. An existing shortcut for the option(s) sought under Format Cells –> Protection may already exist or be configurable from within Excel using Tools –> Customize Keyboard.