Minimizing and maximizing a specific tab in Google Chrome

I'm sure this is a simple one, but I have just been having trouble getting it to work.

I have a tab open at all times with a specific website open on it. It's an audio resource page. The name of the tab changes, depending upon what particular part of the web page you are on (as opposed to a tab with a site with an unchanging name).

What action should I use to program it to minimize as well as maximize?

As a data point, I have already tried using 'Minimize Window Named' (and 'Unminimize Window Named') and neither of them seem to work.

Try using the options as seen in the screenshot below. Note that those are vertical line separators, or pipe separators between each string. It basically uses Regular expressions to find the matching window(s).

Let me know if you have any questions.

Action Screenshot (click to expand/collapse)

1 Like

Thanks, cdthomer!

1. Am I supposed to type "name variant", or am I supposed to actually spell out the variants themselves?

2. In any event, the names are always changing on the tabs. This website is an audio resource page. Each time I select a different audio resource, the name of the tab changes to reflect that name of that resource. So, as you can imagine, the names of the tabs will change infinitely. So it will never actually have the same name.

I'm wondering if I should take a different approach....is there a way to minimize and unminimize this tab without utilizing a name-oriented macro? Like, simply "minimize and / or unminimize this tab" (without having to identify it's name)?

Question: you’re using the term “tab”... is it really a tab, or is it a window? Because tabs can’t be minimized, but windows can.

Also, is there any portion of the tab/window title that is constant?

Ah, good question. It's technically a "tab" in the sense that it is a "tab" from Google Chrome. But I suppose that it is a "window" in the sense that it is in fact an open window.....I think (?)

The name of the site is Freesound.org. The word "Freesound" is always constant.

Ok, then assuming that your Freesound page is not hidden behind other tabs, the following action should either minimize or unminimize it.

Download Macro(s): Toggle minimize of Google Chrome window.kmmacros (2.5 KB)

Action-Image

Alas, no dice. I was able to download the kmmacro and install it (thank you for that), and I assigned it to a hotkey, but all I'm getting is the beep tone from my mac - the beep that signifies "nope nothing is happening here".
Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 2.14.11 PM

Your macro appears to be disabled. Make sure both the macro and the macro group it’s in are enabled.

Ah! That would help. But....man.....still not working (still getting the beep). Happy to create a screen vid; I have no idea why this isn't working....

Hey @dragonfliesmusic… it still appears that your macro group is disabled. Double check that real quick.

1 Like

It worked! THANK YOU for hanging with me on this, cdthomer!

1 Like

Great! Glad to help! :smiley:

-Chris