Mounting an Attached but Un-Mounted External Drive (Yes You Can!)

Hello @M_H :wave:

As I am aware of every volume on the Mac has a specific UUID that it gets from the system as a unique identification code. While the Name you can give may change depending on your needs there is also the ā€ž/dev/disk + Numberā€œ thatā€™s changing every time.

If I remember it correctly the uuid never changes and there is maybe a way to use this UUID via scripting some how to Format the SD card via diskutil just before ejecting.

If I am right you could do this all in one go since you use diskutil to eject the volume ā€¦

Edit:
There is also a possibility that diskutil can retrieve the Devicename which you know Disk Utility always shows on having a device plugged in .. a name that for example contains ā€žWDā€œ if your plugging a Hard Drive or SSD manufactured by Western Digital into your Mac.

But I donā€™t know really what you could do and what not ā€¦ I havenā€™t used diskutil gone more than a whole year - maybe longer.

Greetings from Germany

Tobias

Yeah, I really hate that about reformatting in the camera. I tend to just erase the card in cameras that do that. Talking to you, Olympus. I mean, OM System.

Regarding the failure to eject, I find it's enough to Force Quit the Finder to regain normal behavior. Which is quicker than logging out and in again.

Glad you sleuthed it out.