"Move and Resize Front Window" works for everything except Slack

Hi there,

I have a simple macro that moves and resizes the front window of the front application in response to a hot key. It works great for every application EXCEPT slack. Trying to run this macro in slack does not work at all.

Any thoughts on why?

Here is the macro.

Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 4.48.57 PM

SECOND - right half align.kmmacros (2.0 KB)

Some apps do not have normal front windows that can be manipulated with KM. For instance apps that reside solely in the menu bar. Another example is a microphone monitor that i have on my computer (called Mic Drop)…it has a GUI interface that is visible on the screen, and can be moved and resized manually using the mouse, but it is not a real window that can be manipulated with KM. I cannot imagine this being the case with Slack, but since I don’t have it I am not familiar with its interface.

Try this however, in the drop down option where it says “The front application”, see if Slack is listed there, and if so, select it. Then run the macro and see if it moves the slack window or not. That will tell you if KM can control Slack’s windows.

Tested using Main, it works here:

Edit: Also tested in a Second monitor, works fine too:

moves and resizes Slack.

2 Likes

Slack is indeed listed, but I can't control the slack window which I change "front application" to "Slack". I've tried a bunch of other applications (Word, Illustrator, Todoist) and all work except for slack.

That's so weird! It doesn't work for me at all.

Hey Yevgeny,

So... Troubleshoot the problem.

Start here:

List Windows Keyboard Maestro Can See v1.1

• Install and Activate the macro.
  • Open Slack.
  • Run the macro.

Discover what windows Keyboard Maestro can see.

Report back and include:

• macOS Version.
  • Keyboard Maestro Version.
  • Slack Version.

-Chris

1 Like

Just looping back on this thread.
After a computer restart, slack now responds to keyboard maestro.

No clue why.

1 Like

I don't know how many times I've been stumped about a problem only to find that a reboot solves it :sweat_smile: Glad you got it figured out!