Need Help With a RegEx to Cleanup PDF Annotations; and Learning RegEx

IMO, learning RegEx is no more difficult that learning most programming languages, like JavaScript. In fact, I'd argue that you can develop solutions to common problems with a modest amount of effort. And, a real productivity benefit, is that the KM Actions for "Search" and "Replace" allow you to easily use RegEx with KM Variables.

Whether or not you want a physical book most likely depends on each person's learning style and preferences. And, I don't find learning on the Internet to be necessarily "haphazard". There are a number of excellent RegEx tutorials that are very methodic -- as good as most books. There are even some online training courses that are much better than just a book. I have used a number of StackStills.com courses, and find them excellent. I have not used this course, but here are some examples:
The Complete Regular Expressions Course with Exercises
Go from Zero to Expert in Building Regular Expressions

BTW, I have NEVER paid the full advertised price for StackSkills courses. If you do some searching you should find some major discounts, like 80-90% discount.

Actually, I find most books to be good as references, but not necessarily for learning, unless the book is specifically designed as a text book.

If you don't like the approach of the RegEx tutorial I suggested, Regular Expressions Quick Start, then do a search on "regular expression tutorial" and you will find a number of choices.

Regex Resources

A Google search on "regular expression training" found these web sites, and many more.
If none of the below appeal to you, then do the search to find one that does.

1 Like

I will register for the course today.

I like their style
I see Euro 30 (=$30) . Where did you see $10 ?
Isn't it windows only ?
thanks

Hi @ronald, you’ve clicked on the wrong link. @JMichaelTX was directing you to a udemy course but somehow you’ve pursued the path to purchase the RegexBuddy software. (It is indeed Windows-only.)

I suggest you try the link again https://www.udemy.com/course/the-complete-regular-expressions-course-with-exercises-for-beginners/

BTW, when I used Windows (a while ago now) I bought copies of both RegexBuddy and RegexMagic and found them really useful. On the Mac I use RegExRX all the time in preference to web-based sites. It’s not so great for learning regex but it works for me... YMMV.

2 Likes

@JMichaelTX @tiffle

@tiffle thank you for clarifying the conclusion.

I followed your suggestions and bought the course. So thanks a lot to both of you !!

2 Likes

--- and I just bougt RegexRx

RegExRx isn't perfect, but I've been a fairly happy user for the better part of a decade.

Aside from BBEdit and Regex101.com it's my go-to tool for figuring out complex regular expressions.

-Chris

1 Like

thank you. I bought it and will have a look when I finish the excellent Udemy regex course. The teacher's strong Indian accent makes it even more fun.

3 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: How Do I Add Line Numbers to End of Each Line?

So? How is that relevant?

Take Care,
Chris

(Keyboard Maestro Moderator)