Open/Display Notification Center

One of the macros that I run in the morning opens a variety of apps, does certain things to them, opens URLs and basically gets me set up for the day. I'd like to end it by opening the Notification Center, in which I view the notifications that came in overnight (several of them from other KM macros that I run).

Notification Center is not categorized as an application per se and therefore it is not accessible in the "<Activate/Show/Switch to> Specific Application action. I have tried using the "Type a Keystroke" action to enter the keystroke that I have assigned to this in the System Preferences>Keyboard>Keyboard Shortcuts>Mission Control>Show Notification Center but that doesn't have any effect.

I also don't see a way that KM can mimic a swipe or gesture on the Magic Trackpad (mine is set up as a two-finger swipe from the right edge toward the left).

Does anyone know how to get the Notification Center to be displayed via an action that I can add to this macro?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read and/or participate.

Hi Scott - you can try this macro for starters:

Test NC Utility.kmmacros (4.4 KB)

Take note of the comment! You need to change the spelling of the word "Centre" depending on your locale. In the US I guess it would be "Center"

KM 1 2020-12-16_18-10-01

I discovered the AppleScript at https://jeffvautin.com/ and then changed it a bit to fit into KM.

Let us know if this works for you!

Thank you for your replies and for your assistance. Your patience and expertise are very much appreciated.

1 Like

You’re welcome.

I wanted to do similar thing as OP. My trigger is when the Mac unlocks, I'd like KM to pop out the Notification Center so I can view my calendar and other widgets. The Macros does nothing (i.e. no error message) on Monterey. I suspect it is because the Notification Center behavior have changed. Have you got it working @Scott721 ?

This is a bit hacky, but it works {shrug}. Basically it move the mouse to the top right corner (usually the date/time) and click. This will show the Notification Center.

I would like to use that useful macro, but as I stated in the following thread, the unlocked trigger doesn't work on my Mac, and the best response I got was "your machine is possessed."

Yes, but not using any of these methods. From the best I can tell it is due to a change in the behavior of the Notification Center in Monterey.

Instead what I have done as a workaround incorporates a native behavior of the MacOS. Use the System Preferences>Keyboard>Shortcuts>Mission Control>Show Notification Center and added a keystroke (in my case I used F19) to show the Notification Center. Then you can invoke the keystroke in the KM Macro.

This does seem to work consistently for me and as a bonus gives me a quick keystroke (not KM-related) to open the Notification Center.

I hope this helps.

4 Likes