Open folder in a new tab

I use the following actoin to open Movies folder but it always shows up in a new window.

Triggered by any of the following: The Hot Key ⇧⌘M is pressed
Will execute the following actions: Open “~/Movies”

Is there a way to make it shows up in a new tab instead of a new window?

This is a bit more complicated than I initially thought, but can be done easily enough:

MACRO:   Open Folder in New Tab in Finder

#### DOWNLOAD:
<a class="attachment" href="/uploads/default/original/3X/e/7/e7b61626f5dae89a802e77bb17fa66a5eff79deb.kmmacros">Open Folder in New Tab in Finder.kmmacros</a> (3.5 KB)
**Note: This Macro was uploaded in a DISABLED state. You must enable before it can be triggered.**

---

![image|480x800](upload://bANoQi6ugvl73dBfX0vAKwHUB3L.jpg)
---

Questions?
1 Like

Hey @Hussein,

JM has shown you how to do it with Keyboard Maestro.

Here's how to use AppleScript to make the process a touch faster and more organic.

-Chris

Finder ⇢ Create a New Tab Showing the Movies Folder.kmmacros (5.6 KB)

1 Like

I did test both examples. First one worked. The second one I’m not sure what I’m missing. I tried but it didn’t work.
Thank you so much.

I tried another script for something else and it also did nothing but when I test the action through KM by hitting Try it works fine. I’m not sure why shortcuts doesn’t run the scripts in KM in my device! Any idea?

I found the reason that kept the scripts form running. They were in a greyed folder named “Test Group”. I just had to move them to another one.

Thank you guys so much.

“greyed” folders are disabled, so you just need to enable them.

The Assistance window (Help ➤ Assistance) can help with such questions (specifically “My macro is doing nothing, why is that?”).

1 Like

Thank you @peternlewis. I found out minutes ago the reason. I’m new to KM. I’ll have to learn the basics, this might take days hopefully.

I'm having trouble getting this to work. Specifically, the "New Tab" action. When I run the macro it opens the proper folder, but not in a new tab. Yet when I try the "New Tab" action all by itself with "Try Action" it opens a new tab just fine. The upshot is that when I try to open several new folders within a single window each in their own tab, the macro opens them one by one in the same tab, leaving me with just the final folder opened and only one tab. I'm at a loss as to what else to try. (macOS 10.15.7 and KM 9.0.6).

Ok, figured it out. I had to insert a "Pause Until" action to pause the macro until the Finder window title matched the folder name I had opened, and all is well. Thanks for the head start!

1 Like