Open Group of Files Using Paths Contained in Text File

Thanks very much for the ideas expressed in this thread [FILE] Process Lines in Text File

I was looking for a way to open a group of PDFs rather than having to hunt for each PDF file to open after activating my PDF handling app. I created this macro based on a demo that opens a cluster of files whose file-paths are listed in a text file. In other words, I list the file-paths of documents I want to open in the text file, then the macro reads each file-path in the text file and opens it in succession. This macro takes the text file filepath from the clipboard but it could be modified to read a specific file.

A typical filepath looks like this: /Users/[USERNAME]/Documents/[FILENAME]

You just paste each filepath into a text file, one filepath per line. Then, copy the text file's path and run the macro to open the collection of files.

To easily obtain a plain text filepath, follow these steps:

1. Navigate to the file or folder you whose path you wish to copy

2. Right-click (or Control+Click, or a Two-Finger click on trackpads) on the file or folder in the Mac Finder

3. While in the right-click menu, hold down the OPTION key to reveal the “Copy (item name) as Pathname” option, it replaces the standard Copy option

4. Once selected, the file or folders path is now in the clipboard, ready to be pasted anywhere

If you use Launchbar, as I do, just target the file in Launchbar, hit Tab, and execute the Copy as Plain Text action.

OPEN COLLECTION.kmmacros (48.8 KB)
18%20PM