Open new window of frontmost app in a new desktop window

Hey all happy saturday morning. What would the KM macro look like to open new window of frontmost app in a new desktop window?

Do you mean in a new Space?

Unfortunately, Apple have never releases a public API for controlling Spaces, so Keyboard Maestro has no support for spaces (there are other apps that use private APIs that might be able to do this).

So your only recourse is to use whatever UI controls you have to make control Spaces.

2 Likes

I was just thinking about a KM workflow to open a new Space :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Today I learned that Desktops are called Spaces.

1 Like

Hi, @TeddySgetti. Welcome to the Keyboard Maestro forum.

Does it need to be a new Mission Control Desktop Space or can it be another one (i.e., one you have already created)?

The reason I ask is that I've created and shared a set of macros that can be used with Desktop Spaces including a subroutine named: sub—Move Window to Desktop N

If this piques your interest, you might want to check out two threads I've started:

If you read these threads and/or experiment with the macros and have any follow-up questions, I'll do my best to help.

Apple's long-term neglect of Desktop Spaces has certainly been disappointing.

When I first heard that Ventura includes a new shinny object called Stage Manager I first thought it might be the final nail in the coffin for spaces. But then I was encouraged when I saw a macmost video that shows that Stage Manager and Desktop Spaces work quite nicely together.

With their new focus on window management, maybe Apple will provide an API for Desktop Spaces in Ventura. Fingers crossed!