Open Website and Have Text Automatically Entered

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, so please forgive me if I'm going about this the wrong way. I've spent quite a bit of time searching for an answer to this question, but with no luck, so I thought that I would try here.

I'm utilizing a Stream Deck along with Keyboard Maestro. I would like to program a command (or is is called a "macro"?) so that I might be able to push a button and then have 2 things happen: 1) A specific website opens up and 2) A line of text (my username) gets automatically typed into a field. I AM using Google Chrome, but with this particular website my username does not appear to be able to be stored into the "remember username" option for whatever reason. Any help or advice on how to make this happen would be appreciated!

What website is it?

Opening a web page is easy; entering text in a field might be trickier. I can think of a few ways to do it:

1. Some web pages put the focus on a field immediately after loading. If that's what this website does, just have Keyboard Maestro type the username after a short pause to make sure the page is loaded.
  2. Use the Click at Image action to put the cursor directly in the username field. Then type the username.
  3. Review the web page’s HTML and use JavaScript to enter the username in its field.

All of these could break if the website changes its design. The third is probably the most resistant to change but also takes the most work to implement.

If you can't answer @noisneil's question (because of privacy concerns, perhaps), it's going to be hard to give more useful advice.

Hi noisneil,
I am afraid that I am not able to share the website, as it is a private site that I utilize with one of my employers.

Hi @drdrang,

Yes! This website does put the focus (introduces a blinking cursor) onto the field in question, where I would like to have the text placed.

As far as having Keyboard Maestro type the username, yes, that is exactly what I am trying to make happen... I just don't know how.

Specifically, how do I program a command (or "macro?") so that I push one button, and then the website opens, and then the text is entered?

Or, if possible, having a 3rd command be executed: hitting the sign in button...

I'm just not familiar with how to navigate my way through how to program these things.

Open URL and Type Username.kmmacros (21 KB)

Macro screenshot

1 Like

This is fantastic! Thanks, noisneil! I will check this out!

I had to rush out and obviously can't test without knowing the website, so there's a chance you might have to add a couple of pauses but the logic is sound (I hope!).

1 Like

Hey thanks man, it's working great!

1 Like