Option Selection Tick Boxes

I am in the process of migrating from TextExpander to KM. I have just began to explore the kind of voodo magic that is possible with KM. I am trying to figure out how I can recreate or maybe even make it better to select specific symptoms and paste them into a report. I copy the chosen symptoms and their level of severity from a paper questioner and use TextExpander to add them to my report.

Can something like what I have in the screenshot be achieved with KM? If so, how would I go about it?

This exact topic was discussed a long time ago on the forum I believe, let me see if I can find it.

No, I can’t find it, but perhaps someone with better searching skills or memory can find it. It might even pre-date the forum, but I’ve seen that image before.

Basically, you can do this in Keyboard Maestro, but you will have to build it yourself. You can use the Prompt For User Input action to select the desired entries, and then you can build up the solution, but you will have to do the work yourself, joining each possible match to your text and finally inserting it.

You could use the Custom HTML Prompt action to make a nicer display, but that would require even more work, though you could then do even more impressive things (like show a preview of the result).

But it would definitely take a fair amount of time to build.

Which components would I primarily build upon? If Then and Promt User for Input?

Since I am new to KM, I am not sure where to start to avoid doing unnecessary work. Going HTML route is outside of my skills level.

Something like this. You can see how it is going to get both tedious to create, and possibly difficult to use as well since there will be too many checkboxes stacked vertically to fit in the Prompt For User Input dialog when displayed on the screen.

Note the attached actions will probably not include the Search & Replace actions as they have changed in my interim version of Keyboard Maestro, sorry, you'll have to recreate them.

A Custom HTML Prompt would let you control the text a lot more, but would require some HTML work.

Keyboard Maestro Actions.kmactions (5.3 KB)

1 Like

I think @peternlewis is correct that using the KM Action HTML Prompt would be your best bet in KM. I'd probably design it something like this:

If you have a number of questions that have a similar format, you could design one HTML form/file with place holders, or just build the HTML table using JavaScript.

Each "Effect" is one Radio Button Group, which would return the value (number or string) for that Effect that you chose into KM Variables and/or JavaScript Variables.
Using either, you could build your report.

There are a number of example KM HTML Prompt macros that have been posted. You should be able to find them by search on: