Organizing And Managing Hot Keys

Is that this, only with conflict palettes?

What I'd love is if you could selectively show/hide macros in a regular palette so you'd retain the hotkeys to trigger them. The only way I know to use a regular palette is to show the whole group.

I have conflict palettes and regular palettes which open from that initial palette. I think there are several ways to iterate these. In my strategy there is no difference between a conflict palette and any other kind really. From the 'user' point of view as it were.

You can use the Show Palette of Macros action to show a palette with any selected macros.

Macro Groups can be configured to always active and sometimes show a palette to ensure hot keys are always available.

3 Likes

After thinking about it, I have to say, your @tudor_eynon palette system is impressive. I did not know that this could be done. Well, there are many things I do not know :wink: I would adapt it to my needs but … it is too slow and not intuitive enough for me. I prefer „grouped“ shortcuts and other "palettes“ that work more directly.

1. Nothing is faster than a shortcut you know by heart. With Multipress macros (thank you, @noisneil) I can group similar actions and trigger them with one shortcut that I don't forget. eg cmd+3 brings to front browser A, B or C. That's fast, intuitive and all I need here.

2. I use the free app Touché (and BTT), which displays a virtual touch bar on the screen. It's a kind of palette that is freely configurable, can display icons or text, and is always visible at the bottom of my Macbook screen, just above the f-keys. In my browser this „palette“ looks like this.

The icons represent 10 web pages that can be opened with the f-key located just below the icons. e.g. The KM forum is F2. The finger goes to the icon. That's all. If I press and hold command 10 new icons representing 10 web pages appear. cmd+F2 opens the KM User Manual (which I never use :joy:). Again 10 new icons appear if I press option or ctrl. That is similar to nested palettes, but faster. This way I can quickly and intuitively open 40 web pages that I recognize by the icon. I do not have to remember anything and can also trigger any KM macro. In VLC media player I start my favorite songs by icon and in other apps other things. This is my „Poor Man's Stream Deck“ (I hear noisneil laugh :joy:). In fact, it may be even better than the original because everything is on board. Anyway, I like this better than the original touch bar because I have physical keys. I tried to build this with KM, it works but is not optimal for various reasons.

There is no right or wrong here. Everyone has to find what works best for him or her, right? Of course, I can warmly recommend my system :innocent:

2 Likes

Oh for goodness' sake! :man_facepalming:t2: How did I miss this?! I'm sure I must have read about it but it fell right out of my head. Thanks @peternlewis!

3 Likes

This palette developed over a few years I must say: for me, after a very short time the basic strategy became blindingly fast believe me. I could never remember the native shortcuts for screenshots, I don't use them often enough, I get a brief reminder on this palette with no real loss of speed. Maybe if I was doing something literally hundreds of times a day that might be a factor.

Some idiosyncrasies creep in, that is the beauty of Keyboard Maestro though. You can see for example that 'A' on that palette is for launching Safari with various sets of tabs. I use it every day. However at some point, there was some rationale which I forget, I put a text expansion there too, it all works fine. The text expansion 'Aw' gives this piece of text 'Philadelphia The City of Brotherly Love and Sisterly Affection' an irritating and pretentious trope I picked up from Mayor Nutter and used a lot at one time! I think I was using the phrase while linking some site to somebody quite often or something. It is now in memory and really quite obvious by just looking at the palette: for me that is.

1 Like

Thanks Much noisneil.

Wow - thanks much for this - I am trying it now.

Thanks for this great idea Peter!

1 Like

I may be missing something, but as far as I can see, you still can't use the hotkeys already assigned to the macros with this, and they behave like conflict palettes.

If the macros are active, then the hot keys are active.

If the macros are not active then the hot keys are not active.

Whether they are in the macro palette or not makes no difference to this - except that conflict palette keys may override some hot keys for the duration (eg, if the conflict palette has a highlighted “G”, then a macro with hot key “G” would not trigger while the conflict palette is shown).

1 Like

Ah ok. I like that the group palettes display the macro hotkeys but no matter; I'm sure I'll get used to typing first part of a macro's name rather than its trigger. :+1:t3:

1 Like