Output the triggering hotkey

Hi All,
Background: I edit a lot of photos in photoshop and the shortcut to switch between open documents is Control-Tab to go forward one tab and Contol-Shift-Tab to go back one tab.

The thing I am trying to do is to make photoshop save the document automatically before moving to the next tab. I have my macro to trigger on Control-Tab then send a Command-S and then Send the Control-Tab. However, the macro is rather buggy because of the hot key trigger being the same as the final outputted key command. The macro will sometimes not run, or take 5-10 seconds to execute.

If I however make the hot key trigger anything but Command-S or Control-Tab it works with no issues. Is this a bug in the software or a limitation on what can be done in KM?

Peter

1 Like

It’s rarely a good idea to have a macro issue the same keystroke as what triggered it. Although Keyboard Maestro tries to prevent issues, it’s really not possible to predict every situation, and you end up with problems like you’re describing.

But I think you can still get what you want. Try this:

Instead of re-issuing the Control+Tab keystroke, see if Photoshop has a menu item available to do the same thing. It would probably be something like “Window->Next Document” or some such thing.

Let me know if that wasn’t clear. :slight_smile:

If that doesn’t work, you’ll probably want to use different triggers.

1 Like