PI Engineering XKEYS LED help?

Hi there-

Question about the PI Engineering XK24 keyboard. I’ve got it working great as far as Macro triggering in KBM but I’d love to extend a bit more. I can control the LEDs in the ControllerMate app but I’d like to have that control directly accessible in KB Maestro. Specifically I want to use the LEDs to indicate which keys are active when switching to a specific application. PI already told me there is no shell scripting but there must be someway to get KBM to talk to it because ControllerMate has no trouble. Thanks!

1 Like

Keyboard Maestro has no support for controlling the PI Engineering devices. Its possible to do, obviously, but I have never written the code for it. I don’t get enough requests for support for this, and it would be specific to the device, so I don’t currently have any plans to do it. PI Engineering should release a shell command, or alternatively an SDK, but currently the work to support it outweighs the benefits to those few who use them.

Hmm- that’s what I kinda figured. It’s too bad. As a longtime Keyboard Maestro user these devices are sweet for macro triggering and the lack of LED control is by no means a deal breaker. Is there another USB device controller you’d recommend instead with better support in KM?

Nope - the XK24 is the only one I have (PI Engineering sent me one to test). I’ve long desired the ability to control the LEDs, but I can’t justify the time I’m afraid, plus its a bit device specific to be a good fit for Keyboard Maestro.

I Would like to see this feature in km too. So we dont need to use controllermate...not that its a bad app but its overkill to use 2 macroapps at the same time and might cause errors.

I ditto this request. But i am afraid it needs a lot more votes then the ones above... too bad

I hadn’t seen this thread before. I would so love this feature (although I have the XK60): using ControllerMate with it feels like planting a hectare of lettuce plants just so I can put a leaf on my sandwich.

But I won’t hold my breath; it really wouldn’t make sense for Peter to support it.

Haha, i like the way you put it. I also do that now; use ControllerMate just for the leds. Triggered by midi from KM as i don't know another way.

I would love to see this as well.

My XKs are on the shelf. StreamDeck XL all the way... Dynamic keys, with Profiles, are the way to go.